GarageBand turns your iPad and iPhone into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio — so you can make music anywhere you go. And with Live Loops, it makes it easy for anyone to have fun creating music like a DJ. Use Multi-Touch gestures to play keyboards, guitars, and create beats that make you sound like a pro — even if you’ve never played a note before. Plug in a guitar or bass and play through classic amps and stompbox effects. Use a Touch Instrument, microphone or a guitar and instantly record a performance with support for up to 32 tracks. Use the Sound Library to download additional free instruments, loops and sound packs. Audio Unit Extensions in iOS 13 allow you to play, record and mix third-party instruments or effects directly in GarageBand. And then share your song with friends and family.
Live Loops. Make music like a DJ
• Use Multi-Touch to tap and trigger a Live Loop cell or group of cells
• Get started with templates or build your own grid from scratch with Apple Loops
• Create custom loops by recording directly into a cell using any Touch Instrument
• Use Remix FX to perform DJ-style effects
• Tap record to capture your performance
Play your iPad, and iPhone, like a musical instrument
• Play a variety of musical instruments on the innovative Multi-Touch keyboard
• Play and record using the Alchemy Touch Instrument
• Build grooves inspired by classic electronic drum machines with the Beat Sequencer
• Download free instruments, loops and sound packs for GarageBand with the Sound Library
• Capture any sound and apply studio-class effects
• Recreate legendary guitar or bass rigs using virtual amps & stompboxes
• Use 3D Touch to play keyboard sounds with polyphonic aftertouch*
• Record performances from third-party music apps directly in GarageBand using Audio Unit Extensions**
Drummer for iOS
• Add virtual session drummers to your song, who take direction and play realistic grooves
• Choose from acoustic, electronic drummers and percussionists***
• Each character provides their own sound and the ability to create over a million realistic grooves and fills
Sound like a virtuoso with Smart Instruments
• Play an entire string orchestra using Smart Strings
• Perform with Chord Strips and autoplay using any keyboard instrument
• Groove with a variety of Smart Basses using upright, electric and synth sounds
• Strum chords or trigger autoplay patterns on an acoustic and electric Smart Guitar
Create a song anywhere you go
• Record, arrange and mix your song with up to 32 tracks using Touch Instruments, audio recordings and loops****
• Record any song section multiple times over and choose your favourite using Multi-Take Recording
• Use professional mixing effects, including Visual EQ, Bitcrusher and Overdrive
• Recording, mixing and exporting a song can be done at 24-bit audio resolution
• Trim and place musical regions exactly where you want them to play
• Automate the volume and record the movement of controls on Touch Instruments
• Add comments or lyric ideas to your song with an integrated notepad
Share your songs
• Keep your songs up to date across all devices using iCloud Drive
• Create custom ringtones and alerts for your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
• Share your songs using email or Facebook, YouTube and SoundCloud*****
• Remotely add new tracks to your Logic Pro X project from your iPhone or iPad via iCloud
* Polyphonic aftertouch is available on iPhone 6s or later.
** Requires compatible third-party Audio Unit Extensions apps from the App Store.
*** Requires free download from GarageBand Sound Library.
**** Multitrack recording requires a compatible third-party audio interface.
***** Sharing to Facebook and YouTube requires iMovie.
• Support for Dark Mode and new Share Sheet in iOS 13
• Access files from external hard drives, SD card readers and USB drives
• Improves audio fidelity of Apple Loops when making tempo and key changes
• New downloadable “Skyline Heat” sound pack with a collection of over 350 new Hip Hop loops and 6 drum kits
• Search for Apple Loops by Sound Library pack name
• Provides performance and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing but bugs need fixing
I have just returned to this app in the hope of using the automation remix functions to make choppy beats. It works great - record a simple beat and then record automation of the fx using beat repeat, delay and a host of others. You then ‘merge’ the tracks to record as audio. The problem is I want to build up a layer of this. I have encountered loads of bugs here - the fx greys out and stops working, you cannot delete the fx properly (it may be still playing even if the automation is not).
Don’t let this detract from a fine app. I just think it needs some sorting out to be more logical for those interested in using its more extravagant features.
Alchemy is the best sounding synth for out of the box creativity. Don’t let us down Apple. Sort out the bugs!
I have used GarageBand for quite a while now. When I bought it, it was £4.99 and to me that was still a bargain but now it is free and that amazes me...
Whilst it is not as complex as it’s MacOS counterpart, there is something amazing about sitting down to my iPad and making a song that actually sounds good. The live loops are fantastic for beginners looking for inspiration or those who are looking to just have some fun. The midi instruments sound amazing with guitars that, for the first time forever, sound like guitars. Furthermore, the amp sim is fantastic and it holds its own well agains more premium apps such as Amplitude. I certainly recommend this for someone looking for a portable alternative for their desktop DAW or those who are new to the world of music and want to see what it has to offer without paying a penny. Furthermore, it’s mostly seamless integration with other apps such as Bias and Amplitube make it a fantastic download for anyone looking to record their song ideas or even produce a full song and release it. If you have the skill, you can do pretty much anything on this app.
(P.S. Don’t listen to all those people who complain that the file size is too big, that’s a load of rubbish. The desktop version of this app is much larger and Apple have done a good job in reducing the file size to a level in which it can be used on most Apple devices. I’m running it on a 16GB iPad and it’s completely fine and usable. Others must be using it wrong.)
Great App. Might be all you need. Everyone is different
GarageBand is amazing especially when you figure out all the easy shortcuts they have to make your project run smoothly with less hassle for example copy paste zoom in zoom out to name a few for the first 10 projects you do you will constantly be amazed with what you can actually do. It does optimise regularly which can be a problem but when I upgraded to iPhone 7 plus I have no issues with optimising, I do I have an iPhone X but my girlfriend liked it And just basically took it from me. I now have her iPhone 7 Plus lol and GarageBand works fine. If I was a better producer I could produce and master all my songs on my phone however I am not so I use GarageBand as a way to create ideas and then take them to my teams full studio and recreate it in a more professional studio environment. So basically get GarageBand because it could be all you need or what you need to take your project to the Next step. It’s a great studio on the go it doesn’t need to much space doesn’t take too much time and you can really get creative and have fun and be satisfied.
- Apple Distribution International
- 1.7 GB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.