Automate your German Volume Training (GVT) routine! Lose the spreadsheets and streamline your workout.
The German Volume Training app includes the original 5 day German Volume Training (GVT) split:
- Day 1: Chest & Back
- Day 2: Legs & Abs
- Day 3: Rest
- Day 4: Arms & Shoulders
- Day 5: Rest
Also customize the GVT routine to your liking! You have complete control over exercises, rest periods, tempo, weight, sets & reps!
German Volume Training Tips & Tricks
- EXERCISES: Pick exercises that provide the most bang for your buck. Don’t use machine exercises. Use compound movement exercises. You will be performing only one 10×10 exercise per muscle group.
- SETS & REPS: Perform 10 sets by 10 reps for each primary exercise. Assistance exercises are usually 3 sets by 12 reps.
- REST: Rest between the 10×10 sets on main lifts is kept to a strict 90 second. Rest for accessory lifts is limited to 60 seconds between sets.
- MUSCLE GROUPS: If you can, work using antagonistic muscle groups. Chest & Back, an Overhead Press and a Lat exercise (pull down or pull ups), Quads and Hamstrings, or Biceps and Triceps.
- WEIGHT: Start with approximately 55% of your one rep max, or a weight in which you could perform a single 20 rep set with.
- WEIGHT INCREMENTS: You only add weight when you are able to perform 10 reps for each of the 10 sets. Do NOT train to failure on any of the sets.
- FREQUENCY: Training each muscle group every 4 to 5 days is optimal.
- TEMPO: It is recommended to use use a specific tempo depending on the type of lift. For long-range movements such as squats, dips and pull ups, a 4 second negative is recommended. For shorter range movements such as curls and tricep extensions, a 3 second negative is recommended.
German Volume Training (GVT) was popularized by German national weight lifting coach Rolf Feser. It is especially useful on two fronts:
- Building muscle mass
- Burning unwanted body fat
Canadian strength coach Charles Poliquin and Jacques Demers, a team Canada lifter, accredited his amazing leg size to German Volume Training. Female bodybuilding sensation Bev Francis has also stated that she used German Volume Training during her early years to build muscle.
It is said that that German Volume Training was such an effective routine that it was not uncommon for lifters to move up a weight class after only 12 weeks.
- Due to the intense recovery demands associated with this program, trainees may want to consider working each body part only once per week.
- Eat aggressively while utilizing German Volume Training.
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Let us know if we can do anything to make the app better for you! Please be sure to review the app so others can find it when searching.
Ratings and Reviews
Good App for tracking progress but the graph seems to underestimate the total weight lifters per workout session.
Easy to use, edit workouts and function. I will recommend this app to my friends
In theory this is perfect. In practice it crashes all the time whilst doing a workout and you can’t move past that stage. Tried emailing the app developer twice and no reply, now deleting the app. Such a shame.
- Charles Vanderhoff
- 18.7 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Vandersoft
- In-App Purchases
- German Volume Training Pro £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.