Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Fixed a bug that caused the target area for the toolbar buttons to be shifted a few pixels up, making it difficult for some users to hit the buttons reliably.
Fixed broken move lists (not the one below the board, but the one that appears after tapping "Move" and "Move List" -- does anybody use this one?) on the new larger iPhones.
Ratings and Reviews
This app is due an update, the last update was made in 2014 with at least 4-5 updates in that year!
I played on a chess app called valil chess and droid fish, valil chess and stockfish kept drawing, where's droid fish and stockfish is 50/50.
I'd love to see komodo 9 on here, can this be possible?
I'd happily pay £40-£50 for it providing there's evidence that komodo 9 can beat stockfish 6 with no trouble.
Please input komodo 9! No developer has done it, why not do it for this app to stand out in so many ways just because of komodo 9!
The best chess engine,
Stockfish is definitely one of the very best chess apps in the App Store. At the time of writing it has the strongest chess engine of any app. Even better it is free!
It is an absolute must for serious players and very worth getting for people who just fancy a game every now and again
While it doesn't offer as many features as some other paid Apps it is easier to use, looks better, and can hammer even the best players in the world. Luckily it comes with easy to play options for the rest of us.
(There seems to be something in the App Store called Chess _64. This seems to be direct rip-off and costs £4.99. Apologies if it is not. However Stockfish itself is so good, if the developers wanted £4 99 for it I would happily pay.)
I am not stupid! But I certainly feel it when playing this app. Have had it for years now. Played so much. But I don't feel I get any better. And hardly ever beat the AI, even on its lowest setting. In fact I see very little difference between level 20 and level 1! So I'm going elsewhere to find an easier player that makes an occasional mistake like I do! I play on the tube on way to work so lose concentration a bit. I know that's not the way to play but when you're a chess addict!? Great for chess veterans. Not that great for average players like me. I have no self esteem left
The developer, Tord Romstad, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Tord Romstad
- 40.3 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2014 Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.