Hackers is the ultimate app for Hacker News. We focus on the reading experience, with a simple yet beautiful UI and clean typography. Navigate large comment threads with ease just by swiping left. Up vote posts and comments by swiping right.
Hacker News is a social news site about startups and technology.
• Beautiful typography focused UI with light and dark themes
• Login to your Hacker News account to vote on posts and comments with a swipe left
• Collapse and expand nested comments with a tap
• Collapse an entire comment thread with a swipe right
• Thumbnails for each post
• Universal iPhone and iPad app
• Blazing fast performance
Any feedback or questions, contact me at @weiran on Twitter, or raise an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/weiran/Hackers
Hackers is an open source project, check it out on GitHub: https://github.com/weiran/Hackers
• Added the Show HN category, thanks to @anosidium
• Fixed a bug that prevented the feed from loading
Ratings and Reviews
Love the dark mode support. The app is pretty quick to start.
Living in London, is love the ability to download the comments for a few articles before I go underground in the tube (with no reception). An offline viewing feature would be most appreciated.
One big flaw
If you want to open an article’s comment page in a web browser (eg. to post a comment, bookmark it, etc), you have to go through a weirdly long series of manual steps: tap the share button, tap “Hacker News link”, and then wait several mysterious seconds (even on an iPhone 12 Pro) until the share options appear. Then you tap ‘Copy’, then manually open your browser and paste the link and visit the site. It’s very odd. And it’s even worse if you want to open a specific comment, as the app doesn’t offer a way to go straight to a comment, so you have to manually find the comment on the web after completing the above steps.
It’s a great app in most other ways. I just find the above issue significantly annoying, to the point that I really resent using the app. I wonder if it’s a deliberate design decision aiming to reduce reactionary outrage comments, by forcing people to ‘take a breath’? If that’s the intent, I think it has the opposite effect on me, because I’m not taking a breath when I’m jumping through hoops.
Great app, could do with some tweaks
Great design, responsive and intuitive. However, I find the headline view a bit difficult to scan over as everything sort of merges into one. Would be nice to have a dark mode for the app too, to help nighttime reading.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Weiran Zhang
- 5 MB
- Requires iOS 14.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © Weiran Zhang
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.