iBird UK & Ireland Lite 4+
Skinny Guide to UK Birds
Mitch Waite Group
Designed for iPad
Birds Around Me (BAM), Percevia Smart Search and Time of Day now available as in app purchases. Compatible with iPhone X.
iBird UK Lite Guide to Birds is the perfect field guide app to learn to identify birds of the United Kingdom and Ireland. It’s a free 40 bird demo of our advanced iBird United Kingdom and Ireland Pro app which has the full 343 common and rare species designated by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO). iBird UK Lite now offers two powerful features found only in our high-end iBird apps: Birds Around Me (BAM) and Percevia™ smart search. Smart search lets you identify birds just like the experts while BAM only shows species that are found in your GPS area.
Compare iBird versions: bit.ly/about-ibird
In 2008 iBird broke new ground as it turned the iPhone into a field guide that identifies birds and plays their songs. Featured in Apple’s television commercials, it started a revolution that made iBird the most respected birding app in the world. iBird is now completely updated with new species for 2017 and includes exciting new features.
Whether you are an experienced birder or a beginner, iBird UK Lite is the best way to get started with iBird’s unique technology such as the Percevia™ smart search and Birds Around Me features
More Details of What’s New: bit.ly/ibird-whatsnew
iBird UK Lite Version 10.06 now contains these exciting features:
● Birds Around Me (BAM) narrows the species being searched to just those found at your GPS location, within a radius and season you specify.
● Percevia™ intelligent search is a patented algorithm that guarantees you will only choose search attributes that narrow the matched list of birds.
● iBird now takes advantage of the high-resolution retina displays of the iPhone and iPad so the screen shows more information than ever.
● Contains the latest 2016/17 BTO checklist.
● View all birds by head which makes identification easier.
● Back up and sync favorites and notes with iCloud and share with all your devices and your friends.
● Fun new birder’s “stickers” to spruce up your text in Messages.
iBird UK contains these time-tested features:
● ‘Birds Around Me’ narrows the search list to just those birds centred on your GPS location, within a specified radius and a specific season.
● The patented Percevia™ intelligent search prevents you from making the wrong choice when searching for your bird.
● The only birding app that includes both Illustrations and Photos.
● Spectrographic audio display brings insight to the structure of bird songs by allowing you to view the sound's frequency components.
● Every species is shown perched and in flight and most show major seasonal, age and male/female variations.
● Identify 40 species of both native and rare birds.
● Save multiple personal species lists and your sightings in Notes which can be backed up and synced in iCloud.
● Includes hundreds of carefully selected and edited sound recordings from the Xeno-Canto Community of bird song recordists.
● Filter birds by countries, regions and coasts, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location.
● iBird’s icon-driven visual search engine, with 35 attributes, enables you to identify birds using shape, colour, location, habitat, head pattern, flight pattern, bill shape, length and much more.
● Search by common name, Latin name and the BTO 5 band code.
● Comprehensive seasonal and migratory range maps include subspecies.
What the Expert's Say
"If you’re looking for the most expansive digital key, the encyclopedia-like iBird excels. It has the most sophisticated algorithm, incorporates live location, shows search results in real time (with a slide show option) and has the most fine-grained advanced key choices."
-The Quest for a Bird Identification Key by Diana Doyle in ABA BIRDING magazine, March/April 2014 issue
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.whatbird.com/forum/
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Besides compatibility with the iPhone X, this new version of iBird UK Lite has Time of Day, Birds Around Me (BAM) and Percevia smart search features.
In our continuing effort to improve our illustrations and photos we have updated the following species drawings with much improved composite illustrations: Barred Warbler, Dartford Warbler and Golden Oriole. You can see these in a matched list by selecting Search->Illustration Update->10.0.
Time of Day Search
The new Time of Day search feature lets you filter birds by activity intervals. The version in iBird UK Lite is a sample of the full version found in the paid iBird UK and Ireland Pro app. The intervals are during day or night (Cathemeral), dawn and dusk (Crepuscular), during the day (Diurnal) or during the night (Nocturnal). Time of Day Notes which provide additional information about a species behavior are found on each species from a new Time of Day menu. The Time of Day feature is particularly useful for birders who are interested in night birding.
Now you can search on the Abundance attribute which includes: Accidental, Casual, Common, Rare and Uncommon status.
Ratings and Reviews
Very good but will wait till sorted before buying full version
This is a top notch, well designed and superbly illustrated guide to birds in Britain, navigating around the app is simple and fast, what strikes you is the powerful almost 3 dimensional illustrative work included, the images and photography are truly awesome.
the fact you can listen to copious arrays of sounds from calls, songs to alerts whilst analysing the spectrographic range of these sounds is really advanced and easy to use as well, lots of information is packed into every bird with links to find out and discover even more outside the app.
This is more an encyclopaedia of birds with all the information you can read after you have spotted the bird, which brings me onto the biggest flaw in the application and one that I think will really dent the sales of the full version without a doubt, there are just way to many errors, created by the lack of UK knowledge for birds, seriously the developers will have to employ a UK based birder to go through the application and correct all the US to UK mistakes.
This is a shame as I was looking forward to buying this app, but will hold off until either they state a massive UK update is pending or an update happens to adjust these mistakes.
Still a highly desirable application.
Not enough species
The app itself is quite useful just missing a lot of UK bird species. I’d rate it 5 stars if it had a bigger variety it’s a shame because otherwise I would of found it very useful.
The lite version is useless, you need to upgrade for it to have any useful number of species.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Mitch Waite Group
- 171.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Italian, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Mitch Waite Group