Birds Around Me (BAM), Percevia Smart Search and Time of Day now available as in app purchases.
iBird United Kingdom and Ireland Pro, the world’s most popular identification app to birds of the UK, is now available as Version 10.06. iBird UK Pro now offers two powerful features: Birds Around Me (BAM) and Percevia™ smart search. Smart search lets you identify birds just like the experts while BAM only shows species that are found in your GPS area. We’ve also added our new Time of Day search feature which lets you filter birds by activity intervals during day or night (Cathemeral), dawn and dusk (Crepuscular), during the day (Diurnal) or during the night (Nocturnal).
More Details of What’s New: bit.ly/ibird-whatsnew
Whether you are an experienced birder or a beginner at birding, iBird UK Pro contains more birds than any UK app, including 343 common and rare species designated by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO).
With the iBird UK Pro’s avian matching system you can search for birds by color, location, shape, habitat or any one of our 38 identification field marks to find your bird. iBird's comprehensive species pages have 1,200 built-in bird songs, 1,500 professional high resolution bird photographs, 900 hand drawn composite illustrations and over 350 range maps.
Version 10.06 of iBird UK Pro Guide to Birds now includes iCloud for backing up and sharing your own photos, notes and favorites among all your devices and a migration feature for moving from Dropbox to iCloud.
** NOTE If you would like to try out iBird with no financial investment, check the newly released iBird UK LITE Free Guide to Birds of North America. It has all the features of paid iBird UK Pro, but contains just 50 species. And it’s completely FREE. **
Whether you are an experienced birder or a beginner, iBird UK is the most authoritative guide to UK Birds you’ll need.
iBird UK Pro Version 10.06 now contains these exciting features:
● iPhone X and retina-mode compatibility.
● Birds Around Me and Percevia smart search now available as in-app purchases.
● iBird now takes advantage of the high-resolution retina displays of the iPhone and iPad so the screen shows more information than ever.
● Contains the latest 2017 BTO checklist.
● View all birds by head which makes identification easier.
● Back up and sync favorites and notes with iCloud and share with all your devices and your friends.
● Fun new birder’s “stickers” to spruce up your text in Messages.
iBird UK contains these time-tested features:
● The ‘Birds Around Me’ narrows the search list to just those birds centred on your GPS location, within a specified radius and a specific season.
● The patented Percevia™ intelligent search prevents you from making the wrong choice when searching for your bird.
● The only birding app that includes both Illustrations and Photos.
● Spectrographic audio display brings insight to the structure of bird songs by allowing you to view the sound's frequency components.
● Every species is shown perched and in flight and most show major seasonal, age and male/female variations.
● Identify 343 species of both native and rare birds.
● Save multiple personal species lists and your sightings in Notes which can be backed up and synced in iCloud.
● Hundreds of carefully selected and edited sound recordings from the Xeno-Canto Community of bird song recordists.
● Filter birds by countries, regions and coasts, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location.
● iBird’s icon-driven visual search engine, with 35 attributes, enables you to identify birds using shape, colour, location, habitat, head pattern, flight pattern, bill shape, length and much more.
● Search by common name, Latin name and the BTO 5 band code.
● Comprehensive seasonal and migratory range maps include subspecies.
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.whatbird.com/forum/
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Besides compatibility with the iPhone X, this new version of iBird UK has Time of Day, Birds Around Me (BAM) and Percevia smart search features.
Time of Day Search
The new Time of Day search feature lets you filter birds by activity intervals during day or night (Cathemeral), dawn and dusk (Crepuscular), during the day (Diurnal) or during the night (Nocturnal). Time of Day Notes which provide additional information about a species behavior are found on each species from a new Time of Day menu. The Time of Day feature is particularly useful for birders who are interested in night birding.
Now you can search on the Abundance attribute which includes: Accidental, Casual, Common, Rare and Uncommon status.
Ratings and Reviews
Its one of the better apps for birding
I tried a number of inexpensive apps and decided this was the most appropriate for me as a novice. I find the search facility really good and I think the sounds really help ID requirements.
I have written up some notes on various birds but it would be better if I could pull up a summary of all my notes, as I could then easily check what I had seen/heard in the last month/year etc.
Contrary to a number of reviewers I think this app is just fine.
Handy app but a bit basic
Overall a useful tool to have with me on my phone whilst birding. However a bit basic. More information and photos enabling distinction between male, female and juvenile, as well as summer/ winter/breeding plumage would be needed for me to give a higher rating for what is not exactly a cheap app. More illustrations and photos of birds in flight, both from above and underneath to see wing markings would be even more superb. These shortcomings are partly mitigated by the link to Flickr, which does provide you with lots of extra photos of the species you are looking for, just need to bear in mind that some of the identifications on Flickr may be incorrect.
So, dear developers, overall not a bad tool, but plenty of opportunity for you to make it brilliant! Keep going!
Works but add-ons don’t
Bought the app and, for the most part, I’m happy with it. The add-ons however are a different story as the birds around me section doesn’t always pick up birds that are likely to be located near me. Also, time of day flat out does not work. I purchased this but it fails to appear as an option in my search. Contacted support about this and received a few replies saying they were looking into it..this was last year so I’ve given up hope that it actually will be fixed...
Good for the features that work but don’t expect fixes to odd problems or 100% reliability.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Mitch Waite Group
- 1.1 GB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
English, Arabic, Italian, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Mitch Waite Group
- In-App Purchases
- Birds Around Me £2.49
- Percevia and BAM Bundle £4.49
- Time of Day £0.89
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.