Music Memos is the easiest way for songwriters to capture and organise new musical ideas. Use your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to record acoustic guitar, piano, voice or any musical instrument as high-quality, uncompressed audio. Then name, tag and rate your ideas to start building a library of all your favourite new song parts and riffs. Music Memos automatically detects your tempo, rhythmic feel and chords and lets you instantly hear your musical idea accompanied by a rhythm section with realistic drums and bass. View the chords you’ve played, add comments and lyrics, or share your recordings with friends or directly to Apple Music Connect.* And it’s easy to take your favourite ideas into GarageBand to add more instruments and continue building your song.
Quickly capture musical ideas
• Easily record any musical idea using a simple interface
• Instantly listen to your recorded song ideas with a virtual drummer and bass player, who follow along like a live band in the room
• Adjust the groove and sound of the drum or bass using simple and intuitive controls to hear your song idea in different ways
• Tune your guitar with a built-in instrument tuner
Build a library of song ideas
• Name any song idea, or delete unwanted recordings
• Tag your song ideas to help you find them later using keywords like verse, chorus, mellow, energetic, or add your own custom tags
• Rate your song idea 1–5 stars to help you identify your favourites
• Supports iCloud Drive so your library of song ideas is always safe and available across all your iOS devices
View, edit and document your song ideas
• Automatically analyses the music you played and displays musical measures and suggested chord names
• Rename or provide further detail for any chord names throughout your song
• The drum and bass performances adapt immediately to match any chord and rhythm edits
• Trim away any unwanted parts from the beginning and end of your recording
• Keep track of comments, lyric ideas, alternative guitar tunings or capo position
Share your new song
• Use iCloud Drive to make your song ideas available across all your iOS devices
• Email any song idea to a friend to share your music, or to collaborate with other musicians
• Quickly open your idea in GarageBand for iOS to add more instruments and keep building your song
• Export a song idea to the Mac so you can work in GarageBand or Logic Pro X as a full multi-track production
• Share to SoundCloud, YouTube and Apple Music Connect*
*Requires Apple Music Connect account
This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Very helpful, but not quite 100%
Got vocal or guitar ideas you need to record quickly? This app is great.
Not sure what it would sound like with drums or bass too? No problem- it auto adds matching tempo and key (not always 100% but it does it exceptionally well for such a lite app).
Want to export a mixdown of your version? Done in minutes, ready to send on a variety of mediums.
Want to recover your ideas later? Well you can, but it will insist on updating next time you open your catalogue of tracks. This can be time and data consuming, watch out.
Want to chop up a bit of the track and move it elsewhere, or add in an extra stem/track onto there (overdubs/harmony)? Nope- you can only record your one track. Although the old school way to beat this is to setup a second recorder and hit playback in the original whilst playing/singing along... but that's outside the app, and frustrating...
Want to control some of the effects on the auto instruments more (reverb/eq)? Not happening - it's got basic interface controls with the auto-instruments, but nothing advanced. I know it's a lite app for a reason, but this'd be a nice touch.
Extremely useful, needs a few tweaks
Fantastic app for music industry professionals and general songwriters alike, simple and easy to use, much better alternative to voice memos.
Needs to possibility to put clips into folders to collate all ideas that might be linked to the same song/project. Also needs the option to choose the file format of the recordings and for force touch users, an ability to quickly record from the home screen.
Brilliant idea, poorly executed
As a songwriter I love this app. I used to use Voice Memos to get my ideas down and this is like that app re-thought from the perspective of a musician, with some great features.
Unfortunately, it’s let down by poor software quality - a trend we’re seeing more often from Apple. It takes a few seconds after opening before the record button starts working. Sometimes it records for only a second or two before stopping. And generally the app is slow to respond to most of my interactions. This is running on an iPhone 7 Plus, so not an ancient device.
Please Apple, spend some time sorting this app out!
- Apple Distribution International
- 157.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.