The most advanced simulation of real paint on iOS! Get creative on a digital canvas with smearing, blending oils, delicate watercolor, and much more! Ever wanted to try painting your masterpiece but were put off by the mess and expense? Now you can!
ArtRage isn't just about color: It knows how much paint you've used so you can smear it around to spread it over the canvas. It knows how wet your paint is so you can blend it with other paints. It even knows about the roughness of your paper so your pencils can be used for soft shading.
It's not just a special effect either - ArtRage is a live simulation of the properties of real artistic media that lets you can get creative with colors and textures using tools you already know how to use!
ArtRage takes full advantage of the features of your device like larger canvases on iPad Pro, Apple Pencil support for pressure & tilt, and 3D touch on your iPhone.
Join the ArtRage community:
Real world painting tools: Oils, Watercolors, Paint Rollers, Pencils, Crayons and more. Each tool has a range of familiar properties such as how much thinner is applied to the paint, or how soft a pencil tip is. Tools apply texture as well as color, and blend under the brush.
Add Layers to your painting and work on individual elements without damaging others. ArtRage supports a wide range of Layer Blend Modes, and layer contents can be scaled moved and rotated independently.
Import images, converting them to oil for smearing or as Reference Images pinned to the canvas as a visual guide. Load photos as Tracing Images which are overlaid on the canvas, and have ArtRage select colors automatically as you paint.
The interface has been designed to maximize your creative space without hiding away critical functions such as tool and color selection. As you paint, it gets out of the way so that you don’t have to stop and manually adjust panels.
Record your paintings! The ArtRage Script system lets you record strokes while you paint for playback in desktop versions of the product at higher resolution.
Import and Export using external services such as Dropbox, and iCloud Drive. Share your images on Facebook, Twitter, and any other sharing app on your device.
• Oil Brush, Watercolor, Airbrush, Palette Knife, Paint Roller, Paint Tube, Inking Pen, Pencil, Marker Pen, Chalk, Crayon, Glitter Tube, Gloop Pen, Eraser, Flood Fill.
• Paint simulation monitors the physical properties of your paints to allow natural blending, smearing, and other real world behavior.
• Preset support to save your favorite settings for later use.
• Supports the Apple Pencil's Pressure and Tilt properties, and 3D Touch where available to add realism to the simulated paint strokes.
• Unlimited layers with Photoshop standard blend modes, visibility and opacity controls. Scale, rotate, and position layer contents independently.
• Record your paintings as Scripts then play them back in a desktop version of ArtRage.
• Unlimited Undo / Redo. Load photos as References or Tracing images. Store color samples for later use.
• Create paintings up to 2048 x 2048 or 4096 x 4096 on iPad Pro.
• Control the texture and color of the canvas to create different effects. Canvas presets can be stored to save your favorite settings for later.
• Export PTG, JPG or PNG to services such as Email, iOS11 Files, Adobe Creative Cloud, Dropbox, and more. Share images on Facebook or Twitter. Import photos to a new file or a layer, with camera support.
• Easy access pods provide functionality without getting in the way. Elements vanish as you paint so you can paint underneath. Multi-Touch shortcuts for canvas manipulation, Undo/Redo, and Brush Size.
• Adapts to suit iPhone layouts.
Stylus & Input Support:
• Apple Pencil Pressure & Tilt.
• Supports 3D Touch.
• Includes support for Wacom, Adonit, Adobe, and Pogo styluses.
This update adds gallery file sorting options and the ability to recreate thumbnails for paintings that have lost them. Both options are available in from the menu at the top of the gallery. We've also made some changes to file naming and storage to fix some reported problems, added an indicator to the canvas so that you know which way is 'up' when you create it, and made some improvements to scripting support.
As always, if you have any problems please contact us via our support link and we'll be happy to look in to it and help out!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Mostly brilliant but....
I have been playing around with this for a few days now and love how intuitive, powerful and just downright fun it is to use. It is the closest I have felt to the actual experience of putting real paint on to an actual canvas. In fact, I recommend spending the first hour or so just loading up an oil brush and enjoying the feel of daubing and smearing it around, watching it mix and interact with the layers below.
I would heartily recommend it, although with a few small caveats. My main gripe (and the reason for only 4 stars) is the lack of ability to create or import custom brushes. There are effects that I can create easily in Procreate or Photoshop that I would love to be able to bring to ArtRage but there is no way of doing this.
The toolbox is great, but the option to delete or hide unused tools would be welcome
I love the reference picture tool and can’t understand why all painting apps don’t have it.
Whilst I realise that ArtRage has always been a primarily desktop affair I do believe that with a few tweaks this could be a truly great IPad app. As more and more digital artists go mobile ArtRage could, with some imagination and a few killer updates, be THE go-to app for a realistic and enjoyable painting experience. I would love to see this and come back and award it the final star.
Just maybe a bit slow on my gen1 iPad Pro. Also the user interface is a bit excessively complex. Good app overall but it seems there is no real desire to make it better. Shame rally because it could easily surpass Procreate with a bit more work.
Have to reinstall default settings constantly
I have bought this application and it does not work correctly. I have to reinstall all the custom settings each time I open the application. This is tedious and time consuming and makes the application unusable. For example when I want to use a brush there is only one brush, I have to reinstall everything each time I close and open the application. I am on a iPad Pro with iOS 12.4. Please can you rectify this problem and contact myself as soon as possible please. Thank you.
- Ambient Design Ltd.
- 64.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2019 Ambient Design Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.