Boost sentence level comprehension and the ability to follow directions with Keyword Understanding.
“This app is great for children with processing difficulties which need to improve their ability to follow directions with a variety of embedded concepts.” ~ Smart Speech Therapy blog
“Every child I have used it with has been very engaged by the lovely, brightly-colored pictures, and has quite happily kept on listening and following the instructions.” ~ Speech Blog UK
“It can be used for informal assessments, language therapy and home practice. It can also be used to target auditory attention and working memory for cognitive-communication goals.” ~ Speaking of Apps blog
Keyword Understanding is a professional speech and language therapy app that targets the ability to understand sentences and follow spoken and written directions of increasing difficulty.
Children and adults are asked to follow directions in their everyday lives. In order to follow directions, the child or adult requires a strong knowledge of vocabulary, basic concepts and the ability to process and retain the information they have listened to or read.
WHO IS KEYWORD UNDERSTANDING FOR?
- Speech language pathologists / Speech and language therapists
- Children with reduced attention and listening comprehension or auditory processing difficulties
- Children with receptive language delay, developmental language delay or autism
- Adults with mild to moderate aphasia due to stroke or traumatic brain injury
- Adults with cognitive-communication difficulties due to stroke or traumatic brain injury
WHAT COMPREHENSION ACTIVITIES ARE INCLUDED IN KEYWORD UNDERSTANDING?
Comprehension Check: This activity helps you identify where comprehension breaks down. It checks the understanding of individual vocabulary items, and the basic concepts of size and color.
Object, Size & Color: This activity works on the understanding of the basic concepts of size and color as well as the ability to follow one and two-step directions of increasing difficulty.
2 keyword level: Touch the green car
3 keyword level: Touch the big red mug
4 keyword level: Touch the green vase and the yellow cushion
6 keyword level: Touch the small pink gloves and the big blue comb
Before & After: This activity works on the ability to understand and follow temporal directions (directions which include the concepts before/after in a variety of positions in the sentence).
“Before you touch the t-shirt, touch the phone”
“After you touch the lamp, touch the vase”,
“Touch the flower before you touch the box”,
“Touch the sock after you touch the bucket”.
First & Then: This activity works on the ability to understand and follow sequential directions (directions which include the concepts first/then in the sentence).
“First touch the ladder, then touch the bike”.
WHAT LANGUAGE & COGNITIVE SKILLS DOES KEYWORD UNDERSTANDING TARGET?
- Listening / Auditory Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension
- Working Memory
- Attention to Detail
- Language Processing
- Basic Concepts / Adjectives (size, color)
- Temporal Directions (Before/After)
- Sequential Directions (First… Then)
- Listening/ Auditory Only: Match the spoken direction to the picture(s)
- Reading Only: Match the written direction to the picture(s)
- Listening and Reading: Match the spoken and written directions to the picture(s)
Keyword Understanding lets you:
- Choose from a variety of vocabulary items in different sizes and five different colors allowing for thousands of following directions tasks
- Follow directions of increasing difficulty and length
- Add individual user profiles
- Automatically track correct and incorrect responses of each user
- Email a detailed result summary after a session or at a later date
- Receive audio feedback for correct answers only, incorrect answers only or both
All Aptus Speech Therapy apps participate in the 50% off Volume Purchase Program.
Visit our website for more details about our other speech and language therapy apps.
- A brand new look and user interface
- Addition of user profiles and result history
- UK, Irish and Australian voices in addition to US (automatically selected based on Region settings on your device)
Ratings and Reviews
Volume never works
No volume. Poor app paid £15 but no one to chat no customer service. Poorly developed app. What a shame. Full of scams in the market.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Aptus Speech and Language Therapy Limited
- 187.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Aptus Speech & Language Therapy
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.