If you are learning English for work, in preparation for academic study, or you are working towards an English language exam like TOEFL or IELTS, the Oxford English Vocab Trainer offers a quick and easy way to expand your vocabulary – even when your English tutor is not there. You can even access popular word lists from Oxford coursebooks to continue your studies at home.
Learning Technologies Awards 2016 – Silver Winner
- Expand your vocabulary with daily practice: improve pronunciation by listening to audio clips; learn the definition using pictures and description; practise using each word correctly in a sentence
- Receive instant feedback when your tutor isn’t there: identify spelling, grammar, meaning and usage mistakes quickly
- Choose the words you want to learn: speed up your learning by adding words to your own personalised Oxford English Dictionary
- Track your progress and see how you’re improving: set yourself a goal and see how well you’re performing by collecting points and feedback
- Share learning progress with your teacher: ideal if you are learning English using Oxford’s textbooks
The Oxford English Vocab Trainer uses a learning technique called ‘spaced repetition’. This means you’ll practise each word at the point when you are most likely to forget it, helping you to remember more vocabulary.
The app and dictionary contains translations for English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish (Latin America), Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (Spain), Swahili, Thai, Turkish, with more languages coming soon. Full access is available through in-app subscription (see details below).
In-app purchases and subscriptions:
• You can try the first unit of any wordlist for free: tap on Settings / Choose content to find your course. Upgrade to the complete coursebook word list by making a one-off purchase.
• You can purchase a one year subscription to premium features and content. This subscription includes:
- Access to the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, Oxford Advanced American Dictionary and the Oxford English Business Dictionary.
- Word lists for vocabulary practice on a range of topics, including Academic and Business English
- Access to multilingual translations (display translations for up to two different languages for all words in the Basic Dictionary)
- The ability to add as many words as you like from the dictionaries to your personal practice list (you can only add up to 20 words in the free version)
• Subscriptions purchased through the app will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase and will automatically renew within 24 hours of the end of the subscription period at the same cost unless you turn off auto-renew. A subscription cannot be stopped during the subscription period.
• To turn off auto-renew, go to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
The app has been developed by Oxford University Press in collaboration with Alphary AG.
By using the Oxford English Vocab Trainer you agree to our Terms and Conditions: https://www.oxfordevt.com/terms/terms-and-conditions.html
- New multiple choice exercise
- New snippets exercise
- New American English dictionary
- New notification area
- New vocabulary view
- Improved word list selector
- Optional registration
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
This app doesn’t connect to the server, I have been trying it for a while it is still the same.
Developer Response ,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems. We would love to hear more information so that we can resolve the issue for you. Please email email@example.com and we will get this fixed for you!
All the best,
The OEVT team
pls fix error
Your app has a error of connection. It informs i can’t connect to server. pls fix it. I try on iphones SE and X. Br
Developer Response ,
We were sorry to hear that you had problems connecting to the server. The latest release may have resolved the issue. We would love to know if this has been fixed.
All the best,
The OEVT Team
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Oxford University Press ELT
- 149 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Oxford University Press
- In-App Purchases
- Full version £9.99
- Vocab Trainer Full Version £4.99
- 1 Month Subscription £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.