With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments, and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad, and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more lifelike action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Export a video optimised for YouTube, Facebook and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4GB of RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Improves stability when exporting with certain macOS Language & Region preferences
Ratings and Reviews
Great for simple videos
I've been heavily using iMovie every week since March since I had to help someone transfer their teaching online, part of which included making demonstration videos. I even edited videos for a 2-week online workshop. The software is easy to use, but the new update has changed a few things, notably the fact that videos/text/photos you import onto the timeline no longer have the clip length showing on them – why is this? It is a very useful feature to have, and wasn't an issue in any way, but it now means you have to actively look in the info section to know how long a photo etc is lasting on screen (because there's also no consistent measuring like on other software), which is a time-waster. I'd recommend putting the clip length back on the clips.
Not worthy of the ‘apple’ title
I have used Apples for years and iMovie and and off for a while. iMovie has always been at odds with the Apple ethos of ‘it just works’. You would think by now iMovie would have fallen into line with how eveyrthing else works on a Mac but apparently not. For example: you cannot just ‘save’ conventionally in iMovie. iMovie simply will not let you close a project without saving (which is the simplest option if you realy screw up early on in a project) - and even worse, it will then refuse to import the original files again. This and other basic tasks, whilst not difficult, are certainly counter - intuitive. Regrettably, Apple has so bought into the belief that it’s products ‘just work’ that there is no practical information in the ‘Help’ guide (there’s a brief section on audio scrubbing which successfully manages to avoid explaining what 'audio scrubbing' is - quite impressive, in its own way) so you end up having to battle through iMovie with a search engine: I use Google.
Starting to become unusable
I have loved using this software to create vlogs and edit videos over the years. But recently, I've been unable to use it due to the media turning black every time it's imported into the timeline. I'm so disapointed, because this was such a simple way for me to create content and now it's not allowing me to view my videos in order to edit them. I've looked everywhere on the internet to try and find a solution to this problem but there is no explanation and no way of trying to fix it. People have mentioned deleting the app and reinstalling it but that would mean I'd lose all my videos in the libary and that would be too upsetting. I noticed that a few people were experiencing the same issues with the files playing only the audio and nothing else. Clearly there's been some kind of a malfunction - whether that's linked to the most recent update or not, I don't know. But I really do hope that this is resolved. Otherwise I'll have to just do my editing elsewhere. Such a shame.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 2.4 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2021 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.