iWalk Cornwall is an app providing GPS-guided circular walks, with detailed directions and local information based on your current location.
Both the app and walks are designed and developed in Cornwall and have a big local following. Routes are continually being checked and updated with help from the local community. iWalk Cornwall was Highly Commended in the 2017-2018 Cornwall Tourism Awards and a finalist in the 2017 Cornwall Sustainability Awards.
The app is free to download. Walks are purchased for £1.99 from within the app which includes ongoing free updates. The "Lanhydrock Gardens" walk is included with the app for free so you can try it out, and there is a simulation mode so you can do so without driving there.
Over 200 walks are available in all areas of Cornwall, classified by steepness and length and themes such as coastal walks and pub walks. New walks are also continually being added.
- Tracks your location using the GPS receiver on your device, providing real-time information as you follow the walk route.
- Directions are triggered by your location, with a beep/vibrate notification when there’s a new direction for you to follow.
- Based on your location, provides information about points of interest along the walk.
- Includes an accurate map of the walk route and surrounding area, showing where you are on it and which way you are facing.
- Warns you if you wander off the walk route, intelligently based on local knowledge (i.e. not with a blind "computer says no" where there is something legitimate to go and see)
- Tells you how far you have left to go and an estimate of time remaining based on your personal walking speed
- Keeps an eye on your battery and if it doesn't look like it will last the walk, offers a number of power-saving strategies
- Once walks are downloaded, the app doesn’t need a mobile signal or internet connection.
- Walks are continually being checked and updated - updates are downloaded for free
The app also includes a mechanism to feed back any footpath issues that you spot to help us work with the Local Authority Countryside Team and parish councils to maintain Cornwall's footpath network.
Note: Users of Wifi-Only (non-cellular/3G) iPads will need an external GPS device to navigate using this app
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Update the bundled free Lanhydrock Gardens walk with latest directions.
A few other general fixes/improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app - responsive and reliable
We have been using this app for just over a year and it’s the best walking app we have tried by far. The directions have taken us to new routes even in places we thought we knew well. The step by step directions work really well, even in places where the phone reception wasn’t great. There is also interesting contextual information. The App will let you know if you deviate from the track.
I was particularly impressed by the response when we reported a new, temporary hazard (the marsh to be crossed on the Stanton walk was knee deep after heavy rain). I reported the issue at night, and John the app developer had changed the information for the walk by the following morning.
Do make sure your phone is fully charged though before walking. My year old iPhone starts the walks at 100% but ends on about 25% - I think the GPS on iPhones is quite hungry for battery.
Really recommend this app. It’s well worth the price of downloading the walks (which you do individually)
I used this app on my recent solo trip to Cornwall. As I was undertaking walks on my own, I was a bit nervous about getting lost, but the instructions on here were absolutely spot on - and 100 % worth the small fee per walk, I felt so safe!
It was so useful that every time I needed to turn off, or head in a certain direction, I’d get a little buzz notification on my phone that were incredibly perfectly timed - there were so many little paths I would have definitely missed had I just been following printed instructions!! On the one occasion I managed to veer off the wrong way, I got a little buzz to say so, so I didn’t go off track for more than a minute - again had I been following printed instructions who knows how long I would have been walking the wrong way!! I would say that if you’re walking in Cornwall you’d be absolutely mad not to use this app!
Excellent walks and Local Information
We have used the app a few times now. It helps you get out and about by giving you trued and tested walks. They have thought about proper detail to make sure you are following the route and even tells you exactly where you you start and finish.
The gps system is precise and takes you to each waymark. If you do wander off the route the app will quickly alert you and you can check your position versus the route on the map. While on route the app is giving you information on the nature, geography, history etc of where you are which helps the walk go much easier.
So with this app you can get out into the countryside to interesting places and not get lost.
- Working Edge Ltd
- 76.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Working Edge Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Badgall Downs £1.99
- Barrett's Zawn and Dannonchapel £1.99
- Bedruthan Steps £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.