Japanese is the ultimate study companion for any Japanese language learner. Japanese is comprehensive, with over 175,000 dictionary entries and 58,000 example sentences, and fits perfectly in your pocket. It comes complete with references, flashcard study tools and all you need to master the Japanese language. Japanese runs offline, allowing you to learn on the go, wherever you go.
• Japanese’s search engine is unparalleled in its speed, returning the most relevant results for your search as you type.
• Search from over 175,000 words and 58,000 example sentences.
• Handwriting recognition: Write any kanji in any stroke order and have Japanese decipher and display the most likely kanji or kana.
• Conjugation Search: Search a word in any conjugation to get a complete dictionary entry for that word.
• Text Reader: Struggling with a website or text message? Input long text and see it translated into its constituent parts.
• Flashcards: Easy-to-use flashcard study with study reminders and social elements that allow you to share your lists with friends.
• Text-to-Speech: Learn a word’s pronunciation.
• JLPT: Tests aren’t everything. But for those seeking to master the JLPT, Japanese has dedicated study lists.
WORK WITH IT
• Intuitive user interface: Find the information you need, when you need it.
• Split View: Use Japanese simultaneously with other applications on your iPad or large screen Apple device with Split View.
• Custom Content: Create your own lists, labels, history, folders and notes to help organise your studies.
• Sharing: Share Lists with Family, Friends and Study Buddies via AirDrop, Messages or Email.
• Import: Easily import your data from other Japanese language learning apps such as Imiwa, Midori and Nihongo, Rikaichan.
• Backup & Restore: Never worry about loosing your data with Japanese’s in-app backup and restore features.
Ratings and Reviews
iOS 11 has made it buggy 😔
This app is everything to me! I use it everyday!!! iOS 11 has completely destroyed the new writing part of the update and I was really starting to enjoy that part of it. When I try writing my phone goes black and glitches back to the home screen. As well- the top of the screen that would normally show the word in bold is now hidden because iOS 11 seems to stop you from scrolling now 😔. I don’t want this to ruin this incredible app.... please please PLEASEEEE try and fix this <3
I was worried I was going to have to find a new Japanese dictionary app since this one was falling a little bit into disrepair. Was delighted to see the update, and that all the issues have been fixed. The study mode has been improved a lot too.
Apparently the app is now free. I hope you won't forget the people who paid for it when you're planning your monetisation ;)
Dark Mode & Review Notifications?
This is by far the best Japanese dictionary app for many reasons, one of the most important ones being that it has its own built-in SRS that even contains pre-made lists of various study routes.
The only reason I personally don’t think it’s five stars is purely because it seems to lack two basic functions that every other app has (unless I’ve failed to find them of course).
Dark mode - As lots of people study at night or late into the evening having a screen that’s the inverse is much easier on the eyes over longer study periods.
Review notifications - I’ve had a look both through the apps own and iPhone’s settings, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to set up notifications for new reviews which means you have to constantly open the app to check.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.