John's Background Switcher puts beautiful full-screen photos and stunning montages on your desktop. Choose the photos from your own collection on your Mac or websites like Flickr, Unsplash, Instagram, Pixabay, SmugMug, Vladstudio, Google Photos and many more besides. You'll never know what's coming next - maybe photos from a recent holiday, landscapes from far and distant lands, pictures of small kittens or equally small dogs. If you're having a tough day, just take a look at your desktop and John's Background Switcher will get you through it!
Main features include:
• Show single photos or a variety of randomly generated beautiful montages on your desktop
• Choose photos from folders on your Mac, from iPhoto (old skool) or the new Photos app
• Rich Flickr, Unsplash, Instagram, SmugMug, Pixabay, Vladstudio, Pinterest, Dropbox, OneDrive (personal) and Google Photos integration
• Media RSS photo feeds (so you can use a great many more photo sites)
• Multiple monitor support (show the same background all monitors, different pictures on each monitor or only on one monitor)
• Switching intervals from every 10 seconds to 7 days
• A variety of post processing effects like grayscale, sepia and desaturation
• Lots of new features in the works for future versions (I have a list as long as your arm!)
Once set up JBS quietly runs in the background changing your desktop and stays out of your way. If you don't love it, tell me what you'd like it to do from the support link and I'll add it as soon as I can! And remember, I'm a real person called John so be nice. :)
This version adds integration with Google Photo's new API, removes InterfaceLIFT (for now) and fixes a few bugs. The full list follows.
• You can now choose from recent photos, categories or albums from Google Photos thanks to the new Google Photos API. You'll need to re-authenticate first though (no way to avoid it I'm afraid).
• You can now add RSS feeds from udhwallpapers.org to JBS.
• You can disconnect from any of the web-based sources from the Accounts tab.
• When you clear the background in JBS it only clears the monitor(s) JBS is actually switching.
• Removed deprecated Unsplash featured photo functionality.
• I've had to remove InterfaceLIFT integration entirely as the site and service itself has been too unreliable (weeks long outages) for too long now. :(
• Folders in the Picture Sets tab are now sorted alphabetically.
• When JBS crashes it'll tell you it's crashed and may suggest what caused the problem if it can.
• Fixed Tumblr RSS feeds in the EU being broken.
• Artstation RSS feeds would sometimes show emojis as backgrounds - no longer!
• SmugMug wasn't choosing from ALL the photos in an album, now it is.
• Stopped a common crash when the settings file was in the process of saving the settings - if JBS crashed on you it was probably this. Sorry!
• The Accounts tab now checks your accounts every time you click it, this stops it getting out of sync if you flip between tabs while adding picture sets.
As always, if you encounter any problems or have any suggestions, please let me know!
Ratings and Reviews
Love this application.
About all I missed when I finally managed to free myself from working on a Windows based computer was JBS - my default background creator for a number of years. The Mac version is great and well worth the cost, if you have a lot of photos (and these days who doesn’t) and you want to see them rather than have them hidden away in your iPhoto / Photos library then JBS is perfect. Easily create an ever changing background based on the photos and images you want to see.
A must-have app!
I searched for ages to find a reliable and flexible background switcher for my Mac so I could have a fresh look on my desktop every time I looked at it. When I finally stumbled on JBS I knew my search was over. This simple but powerful app punches way above its weight in terms of what it delivers and I couldn’t be happier. Beautiful images streamed to my desktop from Reddit’s image of the day have received compliments from people wherever I have given presentations. Highly recommended!
The wait is over.
I’ve been using JBS on all my Windows machines for years and it always felt wrong to use my Mac without it, now I don’t have to. Having JBS show random pictures from my friends accounts is lovely, a very refreshing and unique way to have your background change. I’m not one for playing with too many of the features, as I like what I like (picture pile with a greyscale background picture) but I might try something new just for the Mac!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.