Start your child’s journey in reading and writing with an Adventure! Your child will explore the world of letters sounds, as they travel in their hot air balloon
Start your child’s journey in reading and writing with an Adventure! Your child will explore the world of letters sounds, as they travel in their hot air balloon, discovering new and exciting environments, while they learn how to read.
This app enables your child to:
Hear the letter sounds
Recognise the letter sounds
See letter formation
Write the letters themselves
Blend sounds in words for reading
Identify sounds in words for spelling (segmenting)
Suitable for children aged 3+
Choice of American or British English audio and spelling
Choice of print or precursive letters
Activities for learning the main sounds in English
Listen to JOLLY SONGS as you embark on your phonics adventure…
Play the Jolly Song for each letter sound by tapping on the sun!
Improvements including fixing animation bugs, solving some performance and reliability issues have been made
Improvements have been made to fix persistent bugs for iPad users
More updates to the app are coming soon, and we can't wait to get them into your hands!
Ratings and Reviews
Fun but some issues
Overall I like it so far (only just started using with my daughter). Some big improvements on the old app particularly in the letter formation which is much more responsive, and nice listening activities. A few issues though...
- The movement of the balloon between tasks is really slow - not sure why?
- My daughter knows all the single phonemes/graphemes but although it asked when I set up the profile it still made her start at the beginning (satpin) rather than with digraphs.
- Most annoyingly there is a lot of confusion between phonemes and letters which is unforgivable for an app teaching phonics! Eg it thinks there is a short a sound in asleep and zebra (the letter a in these makes a schwa not an a sound) and it thinks exit has no s sound (there is an s sound even though no letter S because x is used). So children who are good at phonics (but don’t yet know how to spell beyond sound-letter correspondence) are confused when told their correct answers are wrong!
- It would be nice to have the option of cursive letter formation
I tried to access the help section but it came up as an error page. So I am writing this here. I selected precursive from the settings but it isn't in precursive. Could you let me know what has gone wrong? I was thinking of recommending this app to my reception class parents, but if the precursive doesn't work there is not point.
I used this for my older children some years ago. Now with the youngest I returned to the app to find it’s had a major overhaul.
The design, sound and process of teaching is great but it is let down by a major flaw, some lessons just don’t complete and the child is left frustrated with a blank screen of floating bubbly things that don’t do anything.
Turning to support- there’s no link to the developers website from the App Store, found it after a search only to find their webpage has notes for the older app only, and that is also buried under reams of information for use by school teachers.
Jolly phonics has been very good for my older children, but if the teaching method can’t be matched with good support and reliability then it’s not going to fulfil its intended purpose.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- JOLLY LEARNING LIMITED
- 121.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 0 to 5
- © Jolly Learning Ltd 2020
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.