The Kindle app gives users the ability to read eBooks on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You may also read your book on your phone, tablet and Kindle e-Reader, and Amazon Whispersync will automatically sync your most recent page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights, so you can pick up right where you left off.
What you’ll get:
· Sample any eBook for free
· Discover and download popular fiction, graphic novels and textbooks with high-res color images through direct purchase and Kindle Unlimited subscriptions
· A customizable reading experience with your choice of 10 fonts, font size, line-spacing, text alignment and more
· Unique features like X-Ray, Whispersync, Print Replica, flashcards and more
· Instant definitions without leaving the page
· Comfortable reading experience with adjustable screen brightness and page color
· Ability to make in-page highlights
· Access to local library eBooks
· Side-by-side reading and note-taking
· The ability to export your notes
· Support for Text-to-Speech on devices running Mac OS X 10.10 or above
· Supports reading with Split View on devices running Mac OS X 10.11 or above
Kindle for Mac 1.26: This update includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Insufficient functionality and unrealiable
The most recent update has managed to fix the issues with logging in but that doesn’t fix the fact the app is just not that great.
Firstly, when logging in and syncing, it can’t handle the size of my library at all. I’ve been a Kindle user for years so admittedly my library is huge now but since I have great internet that shouldn’t be an issue. It froze constantly and took several days for me to finally get it synced properly. It also just freezes randomly now and then shuts down.
Also the functionality is clunky and there is no easy way to download books in bulk. For instance I wanted to download some technical books for a class I was teaching so I can project them onto a screen to show certain pages. I had to go download each book individually. Luckily that was only 72 books but that was still clicking 72 times into each one to download it..
Sync Issues (as in doesn’t)
Kindle is good. Like Kindle. But, Kindle Mac bad.
The actual reading part it smooth and works pretty well as you’d expect. But synchronisation of your place, bookmarks, etc just doesn’t happen. Even when I click ‘sync’ in the menu, this data doesn’t go anywhere, because when I open Kindle on my iPhone nothing happens (although it seems to have a habit of telling me "You are currently on page 130, but your latest page is 40. Would you like to go there?” Not sure if this is Amazon’s AWS or a Kindle bug, but it’s annoying.
Needs some work, as it’s nice to read on the big screen once in a while without needing to whip out the mobile.
Works for me
I was almost put off this app by the amount of negative reviews but I can only assume that the latest version has cured some of the earlier reviwer’s problems. Initially, it syched almost immediately with my Kindle library (nearly 100 books) and when I opened the one I was reading on my iPad, it was synched to the page I was on. Copying text for quotations worked too. I shall now dowload more photographical books as the iMac screen will be better suited than the iPad for viewing them. One star off for the less-than-sharp operation/presentation of it compared to the iPad - but if you can live with that, go for it - it’s free after all!
- AMZN Mobile LLC
- 90.9 MB
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2019 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.