A Judo sensei in your pocket!
With KōdōkanPro, you have in your possession, not just a dictionary, not just a collection of video tutorials, but a powerful, innovative tool for navigating the landscape of Judo techniques and terminology.
- Powerful, searchable dictionary, which includes over 675 Judo terms and their English translations (alternatively: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese). Enter partial English words or Judo terms for an instant list of possible matches. For terms which correspond to specific techniques, navigate directly to either the Gokyo or Technique (Waza) viewer. Terms can be heard as expressed by a Japanese native speaker. We call this the "speaking dictionary".
- Gokyo viewer: Discover the forty official throws of the five sub-black belt ranks.
- Technique (Waza) viewer: Enables techniques to be discovered via the class or classes of technique to which they belong.
- Gi viewer: Learn the terms associated with the Jud practitioner's distinctive outfit.
- Video Tutorials: Just click on the technique you've located using either the Dictionary, Gokyo or Technique viewer, and watch Judo black-belts perform said techniques from multiple angles, as well as in slow-mo.
KōdōkanPro provides a set of 70 video tutorials. Future upgrades to this app will include more video tutorials. Videos may optionally be downloaded for offline viewing.
This app currently contains TWO in-app purchasable products:
1) Unlimited video
2) Speaking dictionary
There is a ***one-time charge*** for all 70 videos.
"Unlimited video" gives you unlimited playback of 70 instructional videos.
"Speaking dictionary" gives you unlimited playback of a native speaker expressing every one of the Judo dictionary's terms.
Video tutorials currently included in KōdōkanPro:
Disclaimer: This software has not been endorsed by and is in no way associated with the Kodokan Institute: http://www.kodokan.org/
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
New and improved:
- 70 online videos with option to download
- Smart search: Typing roughly the right thing should help you find what you're looking for
- Super-easy navigation from the dictionary to other areas of the app.
- Optimised for the latest version of iOS
- Runs beautifully on iPhone 6, 7, 8, iPhone-6, 7, 8-Plus, iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
Just missing out on a five
This app is definitely the most extensive judo app I have found to date. It covers all throws categorised up to brown belt with most of the terminology listed in a neat dictionary which has links to each technique. Other judo apps do not cover nearly the ground this does. It has a cool gi menu explaining each part of gi(helpful for grip fighting)To gain a 5* it would need a menu update to each technique with pointers to each throw. It is a good reference guide with slow mo replays included . Still a worthy purchase just needs a menu tweak and more newaza videos would be nice. Tad of advice.... If you are an experienced judoka this is not the app for you
Very good but missing important techniques
It's missing the Mune Gatame pin, and it would be great if you could film escapes from Osaekomi.
Also for the videos images, it would be good to have the black point start earlier so the black velvet background goes darker. And you could make the white point start later so the gis don't burn out.
And when watching videos, it would be great of the dictionary were accessible in one click rather first leaving the classification, so that one can quickly check the definition of a word in a term and go straight back to the video.
Apart from that this app is great and very helpful for my judo where I'm a beginner.
All an aspiring judoka would need
Judo is a complex sport with its own language (Japanese) which is equally complex to Western ears. This gem of a programme gives a dictionary which, if you add the audio dictionary, teaches you the words their meaning and the correct pronunciation. It gives demonstrations of a wide range of judo techniques including the complete Gokyo viewed from either side and the front and in slow motion.
I have given it five stars deservedly but an additional item to be considered in the future would be videos of some of the techniques when used in actual contests.
The developer, Michael Mannion, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Michael Mannion
- 54.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Cutting Edge, 2018
- In-App Purchases
- 70 Videos £6.99
- Audible Judo dictionary £1.99