Love RSS feeds? So do we!!
RSS feeds are a great way to follow updates on your favorite website. However, some sites set up their feeds to only show a portion of each entry, you know, to get you to click through to their actual website. We find that really annoying, and we're sure you do too.
Which is why, unlike other RSS feed readers, that either push you into a browser (in-app or otherwise), or depend on third party text parsing services and require you to be online to fetch the full text of one article at a time (which makes it no different from having to click/tap through to a website), in lire, you get your favorite RSS feeds as they should've been. You don't need to click through to any website (though, you do still have the option to, if you really wanted). It takes your favorite partial feeds, does it's magic, and converts them in to full feeds, so you don't have to click/tap on those annoying 'Read more' or 'Continue reading' links.
Once they're cached, you don't even need to be connected to read your full-text feeds.
Use as a standalone feed reader,
sync with any of the several services: Feedly, Feedbin, FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader, Newsblur, Feed Wrangler.
- Swipe from the right edge of the screen in article reading view to open the article in Safari View Controller, will now only work if you've set links to open in the in-app browser. You can set change this in Settings > Article Options > Open links in.
- Added ability to disable swipe from the right edge of the screen in article reading view to open the article in Safari View Controller. Please visit Settings > Article Options > Open links in, and, toggle 'Swipe'. (NOTE: You will only see this option if you've set links to open in the in-app browser)
- Other minor bug fixes & improvements.
Major 3.0 update..
- New sync services: FeedHQ, The Old Reader, Inoreader, BazQux Reader, Feedbin, Newsblur, Feed Wrangler.
- Completely redesigned UI.
- Several new fonts.
- State Restoration (lire will now start where you left it when you were last using it).
- Spotlight search for articles.
- Standalone feed engine is completely rebuilt from the ground up.
- New background refresh/sync engine: You can now set the minimum amount of time that must elapse after a background refresh/sync before another background refresh/sync can me initiated.
- Get notifications when a successful background refresh/sync downloads new articles.
- New, and more efficient full-text fetching engine.
- New OPML import engine: Besides being able to import file via 'Open with:' from other apps, you can now import OPML files from iCloud drive, and other apps that offer file providers, from right within the OPML Import/Export screen.
- New section in Accessibility/VoiceOver Options: VoiceOver users can now change the order in which VoiceOver will speak different attributes of each article in a list of articles.
- New Fast Read Later option: This is different from 'Fast Read Later' in previous versions: Go to Settings > Article Options > Fast Read Later, and select what you want Fast Read Later to do. This actions will basically replace the second button on the bottom bar in the main article view.
- New Swipe To Left Action option in article lists: Go to Settings > Article Options > Swipe To Left Action, and select what you want Swipe To Left Action to do. Which in a list of articles swipe/slide an article to the left to perform this actions. VoiceOver users can perform this action from the rotor.
- New Swipe To Right Action option in article lists: Go to Settings > Article Options > Swipe To Right Action, and select what you want Swipe To Right Action to do. Which in a list of articles swipe/slide an article to the right to perform this actions. VoiceOver users can perform this action from the rotor.
- Easy way to report problems with full-text extraction of specific articles: Tap 'Report a problem' link at the bottom of the full-text view if the specific article.
- Tons of other new features, improvements, and bug fixes..
If you enjoy using lire, please leave a review, tell a friend about it, or consider dropping a small thank you in the Tip Jar. That helps a lot!
Ratings and Reviews
Best RSS reader by far
I’ve tried all the major RSS readers over the last 10 years and they all had their flaws - this addresses all of them. In-app feed management? Check. Dark mode? Check. iOS theme design and UI consistency? Check. Extensive and formatting editing options? Check.
Best of all is how consistently the app pulls in the full text of articles - once you get used to how smoothly this is done it’s impossible to go back to other RSS apps such as Reeder. It’s so nice to have reliable full text from an article straight away - it makes it easy to get through high volume feeds without ever leaving the in-app interface.
It is also great that this is an upfront purchase rather than a subscription - worth every penny and given how good the app is I’ll happily pay again whenever a new comprehensive update is released.
Good RSS client
I like this a lot - I get full text articles without pressing extra buttons or using gestures. May not suit everyone but if you just want to read articles without all the additional rubbish that appears on most Web pages then this is definitely worth checking out...
Good app, with some recent bad new “addition”
I’ve generally enjoyed using this app for quite a while, however the most recent update appears to have forced a “discover” section into the app with no apparent way to disable this section or even collapse it in order to at least hide the three sub-sections it contains.
This also forces my list of RSS folders to be hidden from view on smaller devices like my iPhone forcing me to have to scroll past something I don’t want in order to reach them.
Sadly, this feels like a huge bad design change that I hope is ether removed or else at least we are given an option to disable. If not, I’ll have to go and search for another RSS client again.
- Kunal Sood
- 37.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Czech, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Kunal Sood
- In-App Purchases
- Massive Tip £1.99
- Generous Tip £0.99
- Amazing Tip £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.