SALE - 50% OFF!
Apple's iPad APP OF THE WEEK (UK and Ireland), March 2011
AppStore Rewind 2011, one of Apple's favourite iPhone finance apps of 2011 (UK and Ireland)
Closely monitor your household energy and water usage and the chances are you will SAVE MONEY!
Now in its 11th year, this useful application makes it easy to MONITOR your household utility meters. Once you start entering readings, your usage, costs and savings are calculated and displayed in easy to visualise graphs.
For UK users, you can also compare your usage and costs against energy supplier prices in your area to see if you can SAVE EVEN MORE money. You can even switch suppliers directly from your device!
- Monitor up to NINE separate household meters, e.g. electricity, gas, water, solar ... etc
- Quick entry of readings, as often as you like
- Use the rear-facing torch/flashlight when reading your meters (if your device has one)
- Local reminders so you don't forget to enter your readings
- Displays usage and costs for the latest readings period, and compares this with your average or previous year
- Plots graphs of usage and costs per day, week, month, quarter or year, so that you can visualise changes over time, e.g. against the previous year
- Multiple colour themes (black, red, blue, green ... etc)
- Import historical readings from a CSV file
- Export readings as a CSV file for easy import into a spreadsheet
- Backup your data and sync it between devices by email, AirDrop, Dropbox or iCloud
- Universal app, works on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
METERS, CURRENCY AND RATES
- User configurable units, so the app could be used for other types of measurement
- Support for meters that count up (e.g. electricity, gas, water ... etc), down (e.g. oil, petrol/gas ... etc), or where your readings ARE your usage (e.g. broadband data)
- Uses the currency from your device's region setting, but you can override this per meter (e.g. for holiday homes)
- Handles a wide range of rates and charges, e.g. fixed or time based rates, per-unit rates, stepped rates for up to 12 levels, Economy 7/10, time of day meters ... etc
- Support for rate changes, if/when you switch supplier or they change your rates
- Check your bills by comparing any pair of readings (e.g. those submitted to your supplier)
- View your usage and costs since your last bill, as well as an estimate of when and how much your next bill will be
PRICE COMPARISON (UK only)
- Compare your usage and costs against energy supplier prices for your postcode
- Completely independent tariff calculator from Energylinx, the UK's number 1 guide to utility prices
- Switch energy suppliers directly on your device, or email yourself a link to do it on a computer
PRO USER FEATURES (via a ONE-TIME in-app purchase)
- Removes the restriction on meter numbers, e.g. for landlords, businesses and professionals
Please don't leave support requests on iTunes as these are anonymous and I have no way of contacting you if I have questions. Instead there is a link to my support page from iTunes and from the app itself (or simply go to http://grahamhaley.co.uk/meters/).
Alternatively, PLEASE contact me directly via my support pages and you will get a quick response.
The second of a few(?) updates, mainly to fix issues introduced by iOS 13.
Fixed a crash when doing an energy price comparison (UK only).
If you notice any other problems, please get in touch.
Ratings and Reviews
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Start Meter Reading to Save Money
Meter reading or lack thereof can be very expensive. You could possibly save money by downloading this incredible app.
I have owned this app for over 9 years (since Jan 2010). This app is excellent. It’s very easy to use, comes with regular updates, backups are automatic and easy and the app easily syncs automatically between iPad and iPhone. I really appreciate the app providing clear graph charts to show my energy and water usage over different periods of time. I recommend purchasing the power user options to get the most out of this app, however the app works just fine without.
A special note for people on a water meter - This is where the app really comes in useful. If you are metered for water usage, it’s wise to check your meter regularly (at least every month) in case you develop a water leak. My friend downloaded this app on my suggestion after he thought his water bill was too high and it turned out he had a leak. He was spending an extra £30 a month on water than he needed due to a leak. Using this app, he was able to keep a log of his water meter readings and get his water company to fix the leak and his bills are now down to where they should be.
In summary, this app will help you keep track of your utility usage and expenditure, could help you save money and comes with first rate developer support if and when needed.
Smart app, but needs redesign
I think it’s a really smart app - all you need is to enter your readings and it calculates god knows what sort of statistics and can even help you get a cheaper supplier at a touch of a button.
But it’s too complicated. I don’t know what half of the functions do. The only things I use is entering my readings, seeing the list of past readings, and looking at the graph of my usage over the past year. The usage cost shown for my meters is inaccurate and most just show 0.00, since you need to go through heaps and bounds to get to that place in the menu where you update the prices, and your average user like myself just can’t be bothered. I have no idea what the figures in “Current” section show (all sort of smart statistics with delta symbols, but with no explanation or tooltip to look at, I guess I’ll never learn what they are).
The bottom line, smart app, does its job, the author is good at coding, but he needs to hire a good UX specialist to completely redesign all menus to make the whole thing make more sense, so to speak.
Developer Response ,
The app can only show you the cost of your energy if you enter your rates. If you don't do this, then yes it will show £0.00 (hardly inaccurate). Current is simply the most recent period of time you have chosen (day, week, month ... etc), basically the right most point on the graph. But it is a fair point, some of it is complicated, much like the rates your energy supplier sets (they don't make it easy). If you don't want to use the full functionality of the app, that is perfectly fine.
Very Useful And Reliable App
I have had this App for approximately five years! The App is user friendly and undoubtedly not only saved me time but allowed me to manage my energy utilities with ease! I can’t comment on the surport because I have never required Surport, however I am confident that surport would be provided if required! The App has been updated when required and never had to pay to re-download or found myself paying for a replacement app because the original App has suddenly been abandoned by the developer!
- Graham Haley
- 19.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2019, Graham Haley
- In-App Purchases
- Pro User Features £9.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.