Intro to Letters will help your child learn to trace, read, write, and record letter sounds, names, and phonograms in English! Based on the proven methodology of Montessori.
"Minimalist yet engaging, the sleekly designed app makes self-directed learning what it should be: Fun, simple, yet effective." - Maria Popova
YOUR CHILD WILL LEARN:
• Basic foundations of language
• To read, write and understand English letters from A-Z
• Lowercase letter symbols and their sounds (phonics)
• Capital letters - letter names, writing and pronunciation
• Phonograms - writing and pronunciation
• Consonants and vowels
• Fine motor skills
Intro to Letters includes the following activities:
• LETTER SOUNDS (Lowercase Letters)
The first activity places an emphasis on phonetics instead of letter sounds. Your child will learn the sounds of the letters through a series of guided, interactive exercises.
Similar to the letter sounds, your child will work through the sounds of phonograms and unite them with their symbols.
Connect the sounds of the lowercase letters with their uppercase counterparts.
• LETTER NAMES (Capital Letters)
The objective of this activity is to acquire a knowledge of the names and symbols of the capital letters.
A special recording section to help your child learn sounds, phonograms and names.
• PRACTICE MODE - This section allows kids to practice specific letters or phonograms. A new toggle feature allows the user to isolate their tracing paths.
• ADDITIONAL FEATURES:
Recording Studio: Adults can record their own pronunciations of letter sounds and names to use throughout the app so children learn from a voice they love. Follow the instructions in the Parent Portal to get started.
Integrated Kids Library: Swiping the home screen will reveal all Montessorium apps on the user’s device. Tap an app icon to switch to a different activity.
Integrated Parent Portal: We’ve added several tools to help adults access information. With “Journal”, adults can stay up to date with Montessorium news and read posts on education, design, and technology.
Intro to Letters is a universal app for use on the iPad and iPhone. Please note, the Recording Studio functionality will not work on the iPod Touch.
Concept and design by Montessorium. Development of Intro to Letters 3.0 by Ymedia Labs.
We would love to hear from you.
Find us on Twitter & Facebook!
Updated for iPhone X.
Ratings and Reviews
This is a good app but have seen two points of improving this from five mins of having it
1. Support for iPhone 5
2. In the transition from lower case to upper case letters, instead of just letting it hang on the screen with no functions apart from swipe to the next letter. How about sounding the letters when they are tapped so the little ones can see the letter and interact with the sounds. Also and this is maybe taking it too far but there's a chance you could put a pinch on each to have a go at drawing the letter from that screen to put that could just be putting too much function on one screen taking away the simplicity.
Good with some fixable problems
Really nice app, keeps our 4 year old engaged while he learns a few letters at a time. But the tracing function needs to ignore extra touches, especially on iPad, as children are prone to resting their hand on the screen while writing. Good value considering what you can get in printed form for £3 but I expected the writing input to not frustrate the child.
Also, recording and playback of the child's voice is a nice feature but the control could be more streamlined, say with an automatic 2-3 seconds record then playback, without requiring 3 taps on the screen.
I don't mean to sound too down on this app, it's good already and would be great with these problems solved in an update.
Intro to letters
This is a really good app, and a huge relief that it isn't just American, and most letters sound ok.
However, I have one request for a change and it seems an obvious requirement. On the "random" choice setting, the child is shown how to trace the letter properly, ie the entire route to produce the letter correctly, but on the "ordered" choice, only the starting point is shown - why not the whole route?
Perhaps this level of instruction to the child could be user-controlled in a settings section, so that it could be turned on when the child is first learning and off when they are more proficient.
- Higher Ground Education Inc
- 41.4 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Higher Ground Education Inc
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.