NOISE is a free app that makes music mobile, so you can sketch musical ideas anywhere you take your connected device. Using easy-to-learn gestures you’ll create beats, melodies, and songs with a diverse library of sounds — all on the touch screen of your phone or tablet. Extend the musical power of NOISE by pairing it with ROLI BLOCKS devices.
A NEW APPROACH TO MAKING MUSIC
A glass surface becomes unbelievably musical with NOISE, which lets you make and shape sounds by drumming the screen, gliding your fingers along it, pressing into it, and lifting off. You create music through intuitive gestures on a series of easy-to-navigate interfaces.
A HIGH-POWERED MUSICAL SKETCHPAD
Not only can you perform music with NOISE. You can also produce. Start by choosing from custom-made sounds that range from to string sections to crunchy hip hop basses. Record basslines and melodies as loops of varying lengths. Mix and match your loops to build amazingly multi-layered songs — all within the app. Then export your project to desktop studio software and refine your musical idea further.
500 SOUNDS — AND GROWING
The ever-growing library of NOISE sounds include powerful percussion, sparkly synths, magic flutes, head-banging guitar leads, rousing orchestrals, and stunningly life-like acoustic strings and brass. World-renowned artists like Pharrell, Grimes, RZA of Wu-Tang Clan, Steve Aoki, and Rudimental have also created customized packs of their signature sounds. 35 sounds are completely free, and hundreds more are available through in-app purchases.
ROLI BLOCKS TAKES YOUR MUSIC TO THE NEXT LEVEL
The power of NOISE expands when you connect to ROLI BLOCKS, the modular music-making system. Pairing wirelessly, NOISE becomes the sound engine for the Lightpad Block and Seaboard Block controllers. Apply the musical gestures you’ve learned in NOISE to the pressure-responsive silicone surfaces of BLOCKS — and be even more expressive. Watch films and learn more about BLOCKS on ROLI.com.
• Phone 6 or higher
• iPhone SE
• iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro
• iPod Touch 6th Gen
• iOS 9 or higher
This update includes some exciting new features to assist you taking your sounds further in NOISE.
• Performance effects - From Crunchy Delays to Wobbbling Filters, you can now add even more expressivity with the addition of two effects slots and a variety of presets. Assign a Lightpad to either slot or control on-screen
• AUv3 Updates - You can now play and record with your favourite NOISE Drum and Groove Kits in hosts such as Garageband with the addition of a new AUv3. Seaboard and Drum Grid visualisers have also been added to all plug-ins when used in full screen mode
• Updated Navigation - The navigation has been consolidated to a single tab bar and dual screen support has been added on iPad, allowing you to control instruments on the right and either clips, mixer or effects on the left
• Improved Performance - The app has been further optimised to improve performance on devices such as the iPhone 6 and iPad mini 4
Other improvements and fixes include:
• Fixed multiple bugs in the sign up process, including a more responsive scrolling and quicker loading of T&Cs
• UI Refresh of buttons and background
• Fixed issue where pitch correction was jumping around when in hide mode
• Fixed occasional stuck notes when stopping Learn Loops
We would love your feedback and are also here to help! If you have any questions, comments or problems, please check out support.roli.com. If you are enjoying your experience using NOISE we would really appreciate you rating it on the App store.
The ROLI Team
Ratings and Reviews
Could be incredible but currently much to frustrate.
This could be amazing, as it stands it is -as a FREE APP -but having spent £70+ on soundpacks it’s limitations really need addressing. Here are the key issues;
1) It needs to integrate better with GarageBand, other apps have a small control panel appear to record into GarageBand - to hit record and just play your loops in a song arrangement, then add other instruments within GarageBand would make this an incredibly useful piece of software for me. Failing that the ability to record a ‘performance’ and play it back within Noise would be a start.
2)You can only use the effects during playback, you can’t actually record them in a loop - big oversight and surely a relatively easy fix.
3) Some of the more expensive soundpacks can’t do polyphony- if you fork out a tenner for the strings pack, don’t expect to be able to overdub either.
4)I may want percussion on more than one track - no choice at the minute.
5)Only one time signature! Very irritating.
6)Big one here- I bought the £549 song maker kit and no matter how hard you hit the surface it is much quieter than the touchscreen sounds, equally there is little to no control over volume with the touchscreen- it’s all or nothing. Some of the sounds are quite phenomenal but the complete lack of dynamics within a mix really makes the music suffer.
If these issues were resolved I would gladly pay for the app, perhaps Roli should consider a paid version and a free download.
I love the idea of the ROLI Blocks system and I just love it so much. The only downside is the point where you have to pay to get most of the sound packs. Now, usually I would be ok with this but because I spent a fortune on the ROLI Blocks setup (which I love!) there is no explanation of why we need to pay to get the majority of sounds. Apart from that this app has everything and I have a few requests of what you should add/improve/change:
1) It needs a way of deleting a loop if you don’t like it. This will mean we don’t have to press the undo button until we’ve finally deleted the loop and that will lead us having to start all over again!
2) We should be able to choose how many instrument slots we have for each separate song. The reason this would be a good idea is that after they finish they’re song they won’t have to export it to a more professional software and put more instruments in there.
Overall I think ROLI Noise and ROLI Blocks both have a big future!
Don’t waste your time or money
Went ahead, like a total muppet, and bought the beat maker kit and a seaboard block. It looks phenomenal, but that’s about where it ends.
The hardware is great when it works but usually doesnt, with lag and delay at the best of times and outright malfunctions at worst. Expect to restart your iPad and reset the blocks numerous times when these issues occur.
Now the app, it’s less than basic, with huge oversights and missing features. They only just put in overdubbing, but you cant edit the notes, or even undo. I will repeat that for you, there’s no undo! Expect to delete perfect loops that took several retries because you hit an accidental note during overdubbing. Lovely!
Their support is terrible. Having read on their website that Cubasis was compatible with the block series, I was anxious to get started, but hit a wall trying to work it out. Their support responded with a third party article about Cubase. Top marks there, surely.
Every day I’ve owned Roli blocks I have regretted the money I spent and time I dedicated to getting it working. When Roli’s main selling point is its portability and ease of use, you’d think that would be the first thing they would figure out, here we are almost a year after release, with shoddy hardware, unfinished software and terrible support.
It astonishes me that they have the audacity to charge £189 for their cheapest product.
- ROLI Ltd.
- 139.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch)Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th generation) and iPod touch (7th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2018 ROLI Ltd. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Hybrid Acoustic £3.99
- Expressive Electronic £3.99
- Synthetic Leads £3.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.