Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Top selling paid app on iPad App Store, regularly ranked #1.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to enrich their lives. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note-taking experience at school, home, and work.
STREAMLINE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Become fully paper-free, in the classroom, office, and at home.
• Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
• Drag and Drop to move files, text, photos, GIFs, web pages, and more from other apps into Notability with Multitasking.
• Secure and lock your notes using Face ID and Touch ID.
HANDWRITE AND SKETCH WITH BEAUTIFUL INK
• Fully express your artistic side with custom colors and match any color with the color dropper.
• Easily create perfect shapes.
• Precisely erase freehand ink or shapes with varied brush sizes.
• Ink is fine-tuned for 1st and 2nd generation Apple Pencil for the most responsive, precise writing experience yet, including double-tap gesture for switching tools, erasing, and more.
SEARCH AND CONVERT HANDWRITTEN NOTES
• Search for handwritten words from the Library and in the note view in any of our 15 supported languages.
• Convert handwriting to text.
• It all happens on your device, so your information stays private.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTI-NOTE
• Multi-Note lets you work with two notes side-by-side.
• Quickly switch between notes with the Note Switcher.
• Drag & Drop handwriting, typed text, images, and more between notes.
• Notability includes full-featured, left-aligned typing with word count and a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
• Create outlines, interactive checklists, and text boxes.
• Save time with keyboard shortcuts.
IMPORT AND SHARE
• Import PDFs, DOCs, PPTs, images, GIFs, and more - conversion to PDF happens on your device, so your information stays private.
• Annotate imported pictures, lecture slides, and meeting agendas, or complete class assignments.
• Share notes via email, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive, and more, or share note content to other apps with Drag and Drop.
RECORD AND PLAYBACK AUDIO
• Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
• Notes are automatically synced with audio recordings so during playback you can listen to what was happening as you wrote.
AUTO-BACKUP AND ICLOUD SYNC
• Use iCloud to automatically sync your notes to Notability on iPad, iPhone, and Mac, or to retrieve previous versions of your notes.
• Use Auto-backup to send your notes to a cloud service for archiving or recovery. Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, WebDAV, and OneDrive are all supported!
Mac app sold separately.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
***Bug fixes in 9.0.5***
• Fixed an issue where some notes would hang on load
• Improved scrolling while moving images and ink
***Bug fixes in 9.0.4***
• Fixed a problem recognizing handwritten text in some languages
• Added a warning when linking Notability to an unsecured WebDAV server
• Fixed an issue importing Google Drive documents
• Fixed a problem where ink could disappear unless content is scrolled
***Bug fixes in 9.0.2***
• Improved support for local WebDAV servers
• Deleting pages is now faster
• Improved performance for notes with a lot of images and handwriting.
• Images now can be resized to the full page width
• Browsing files from cloud services is now more reliable
• Fixed an issue involving ink duplication after image movement
• Fixed a problem with images outside of the canvas corrupting notes
• Fixed a crash in left-handed mode editing captions
• Added auto-scroll when moving media upward in left-handed mode
• Other miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
***What’s new in Notability 9.0***
This is an exciting update for Notability! We’ve added powerful new features: Shapes, Partial Eraser, and improved image control.
• Draw a shape, hold the stroke for a moment, then watch as it snaps perfectly into place!
• Shapes can be styled and manipulated like regular handwriting.
• Create circles, ellipses, triangles, squares, rectangles, hexagons, and irregular shapes.
• Precisely erase any ink in a variety of eraser sizes, including shapes!
• Partial erase supports both freehand erasing and perfect shape erasing.
• Once a stroke is separated, it behaves exactly like regular handwriting.
• Rotate and crop images easily with a new, streamlined interface.
• New Dot Paper in four sizes.
Ratings and Reviews
Everything you need for note taking
I’ve been using this for while now and have found it to be the perfect note taking app for me. It does the basics extremely well. After all, you would expect a note making app to be excellent at being able to take notes right? The handwriting experience when using the zoom box feature in conjunction with a decent stylus is flawless in my opinion, and notes look and feel like you have hand written them on paper when you’ve done. A good selection of pens and paper and an effective system for managing your notes and notebooks, all synched with your cloud solution of choice, of course.
I showed this to my daughter when she started university and as well as now using it for all her lecture notes (sometimes with the recording feature), including annotation of PDF handouts, she has turned its use into an art form! Her notes, sketches, inserted diagrams and hand written formulas are beautiful to look at, and now form an effective part of learning.
This is a great app and would highly recommend it.
Notability is an amazing app and I’ve been using it on my iPad for almost a year. Handwriting is smooth and nice(I switched off the pressure sensitivity), by the way im an engineering student. I like how the files are organised. But the most important feature that keeps me using notability is voice recording. The way it is done is just amazing!
It’s all good but lest face a few problems of natability that are actually annoying on a daily basis:
Notability doesn’t recognise geometric shaped and can’t make them look better as some other does that. To draw a nice square we have to go and press some Figure option which takes us to some new window etc... what I am saying that it is the ugliest way of drawing a nice circle on the market. Developers should definitely make it simpler and more intuitive and pleasant to use. Right now it is such a disappointment that I was so close to stop using notability and go on to another app.
Another things - highlighters. I don’t understand what the developers thought of when they designed them. Why are they like this? Why are they so transparent? Why do they mess up with the handwritten text? Why do highlighters of the same color overlap each other? It is utterly annoying.
In general, it is an amazing app but I hope the developers will listen to the app users and fix those issues as so many people are irritated of the highlighters and figure drawing tool.
If 10 is perfect this app gets a 10🌟
I dont usually write reviews but I made an exception.
I have used notability since I got my new 2018 iPad Pro and have absolutely fell in love with this app.
To name a few features which I love:
- their colour palette is awesome, I use the pastel colours a lot
- voice recording function is super useful for my language classes/ project meetings
- you can view 1+ documents on notability at the same time
- Function to back up your files to almost any type of cloud/drive
- Importing files to the app is easy and super user friendly (you can select pages to import vs. The entire document
- the interface is super easy to use and navigate. Honestly the level of detail that went in the developing of this app surprises me (there are many subtleties, you only understand once you’ve used the app)
Very well rounded app I cannot think of a single critic?! Kudos to Ginger Lab for their pro-active app development. I was reading the comment section and some asked for the function to draw standard geometric shape and next thing in the v8.4 update they added this new function. I tried using other note-taking app on my friends iPad and they are no where near close to what notability offers...There are so much subtlety in notability that makes the app so powerful and that’s what wins my heart over other ‘similar’ apps. Honestly get it, I promise you it will worth that few quids extra.
- Ginger Labs, Inc.
- 241.9 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Spring £1.99
- Fall £1.99
- Summer £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.