With over five years in the App Store, Notion is a best-selling music notation app for iPad and iPhone. Notion has been featured in various Apple campaigns including the 2014 YourVerse television commercials and has won several awards, most recently a prestigious music industry NAMM TEC Award for Best Smartphone/Tablet App.
Notion is a notation editor and playback tool for your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, (any iOS8 compatible device) giving you the convenience of an easy-to-use music creation tool right at your fingertips—and you can sync your music files across multiple devices! With a user-friendly interface and simple interactive piano keyboard, fretboard, and drum pad, and even optional handwriting recognition, Notion makes it easy to get started composing your music. And, with Notion's abundance of advanced functions you can take your most basic ideas to an entirely new level right on your iOS device or share with Notion 6 for Mac or Windows.
You can also hear your music performed with the most realistic playback possible, using real audio samples performed by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Notion comes bundled with piano and orchestral samples as well as popular instruments such as guitar, bass, and much more. The initial app download contains piano - you can then manage which of the bundled sounds to have on your device, or keep in the cloud, just tap on Sounds. Once you have the sounds, you can create the perfect balance using the full-featured multi-track mixer with effects.
Once you are happy with your creation you can share the Notion file, or MIDI, MusicXML, PDF or audio files. Share files with other apps on your device, or with AirDrop using the Send To.. feature. Print via AirPrint, e-mail from the app, or send the audio directly to your SoundCloud account. You can automatically sync your scores across devices, and with Notion 6 for Windows and Mac, by using iCloud and Dropbox.
- Handwriting in-app purchase for iPad now available
- Enter, edit, and playback notation, tab, or both
- Notion widget available to open a quick score, or recent scores
- Orchestral samples by The London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios.
- Piano, keyboards, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric bass
- MIDI step-time entry with your favorite MIDI device or MIDI Bluetooth device
- Record real-time MIDI input into your score.
- Audition Mode: Use the on-screen virtual instruments to hear sounds before entering them into your score.
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Support for retina display
- Native 64-bit support
- Option to tap in notes with finger or stylus
- Interactive piano keyboard, 24-fret guitar fretboard and drumpad for step, and realtime, entry
- Quick and simple selection palette
- Distortion and reverb effects
- Full audio mixer
- Full range of orchestral functions and articulations including: Staccato, Flutter tongues, Trills, Vibrato, and much more…
- Full range of guitar functions and articulations including: bends, vibrato, slides, hammer on, pull off, mutes, whammy bar techniques, bass slap, harmonics, and more…
- Drag score items such as dynamics
- Switch Instruments
- Insert text
- Rehearsal Marks
- Chord Symbols and Diagrams
- Rhythm Slashes
- Cross staff beaming for grand staff instruments
- Continuous and Page View
- Quick “Undo” and “Redo” functions
- Chord and melody modes
- Easy delete and erase capabilities
- Enter and edit title and composer information
- Save as an audio file
- Import .notion, MIDI, MusicXML, GuitarPro 3-5 files
- Export/email .notion, PDF, MusicXML, .WAV, AAC or MIDI files
- Sync with iCloud, Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing
- Print to AirPrint enabled printers
- Expand your bundled sound library with in-app purchases
- Help Files
- And much more…
Slur control points - now when a slur is selected, you can drag its control points to adjust the start and end points, its placement, and even the curve itself.
Fix not being able to import files from email or other apps
Fix issue introduced by iOS10.3 that meant the cursor would occasionally jump on note entry
Fix an issue that was occasionally resulting in notes not sounding during note entry until pressing play
Update remaining old font selection dialogs
Fix occasional crash when selecting/resizing text boxes
Fix not being able to drag text boxes
Ratings and Reviews
A back the top button.
I would have given this excellent app 5 stars but for the omission of a back to the top or at least a marker button so I can, at a touch, go back into a lengthy score at a place where I want to start editing or listening again...I know I can do this with the play back but it’s not the same as being able to mark places in the score where I might need to make several alteration as the result of a change to a part of the score I might be working on.
On the whole it’s an incredible achievement to get so much versatility in the control panel system that Notion comes with. I have yet to use the desktop software but I am now considering this. The price is a bit hefty though...
An Excellent Performer
I appreciated a response from the developers, Well Done!
I really like this App and have been using it extensively for around a month. I'm impressed by the way in which my keyboard Midi files are imported and correctly notated in both the treble and bass clefs, something that similar Apps are not so capable of doing, I've found. Editing and adding additions are very intuitive and within a short period of time I was able to produce sheet music that was very similar in format to the industry standard software costing hundreds of pounds more. I did upgrade and pay the additional £28 for all the instruments. Overall, I'd rate this App as a four because although the orchestral sounds are good I find others, particularly the harpsichord lacking in authenticity. So too, the piano could be better sampled to provide that concert spaciousness. As a classical composer, I'd also like to have more options with the organ, including the addition of trumpets and reeds. There is also the quirk of the program crashing when the imported Midi file is being processed. Nothing is lost, however, and when the App is started again the file loads correctly. I'm not yet sure if I can play different, separate instruments on each of the clefs? Overall, It's still a great way to make music on the move!
Developer Response ,
I can't replicate the newly imported MIDI file issue you're having here - can you hit the Feedback button on the App homepage and send us a message. We can then work with you to see what's happening and maybe get some of your files to work with?
Not good for drum notation
I have been looking for a good app that deals specifically with drum notation. I heard good things so bought this app, I had recently bought the Apple Pencil and didn’t realize I had to pay an additional £8 to download a pack to use that.
Anyway, I write out my drum notation properly, using a percussion clef and the app tried to make my hi hat crosses into notes. This is a big issue, hoping Notion can address this feature in the future.
For the time being I have gone back to Good Notes 4 which is just staff paper which I can write on myself as this app is almost unusable for drum notation.
- Notion Music, Inc.
- 223.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Handwriting £7.99
- All Sounds Bundle £28.99
- Harp £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.