The NSW Trauma App will ensure clinicians are supported in the care of the trauma patient and are able to manage to meet the needs of the specific traumatically injured patient. Clinicians in metropolitan, rural and remote areas require standardised, easy access to clinical support tools and up-to-date, evidence-based information to deliver optimal care. This includes the provision of trauma resources for pre-hospital and intra-hospital clinicians. All clinicians require portable and versatile amenity in trauma care that can be utilised on a smart phone or tablet operable in environments such as poor cellular or WiFi access locations.
This app is developed for all medical, nursing and allied health clinicians of NSW Health and NSW Ambulance working across the trauma continuum within the state. The NSW Trauma App provides:
• Localised guideline repository:
The Guideline repository has been provided from bodies within NSW Health including Ambulance Service of NSW (ASNSW), Local Health Districts and trauma services. The guidelines and information, sourced from public domains, are referenced and acknowledged within the app.
• Specific burn injury resources:
The Institute of Trauma and Injury Management has worked with the NSW Burn Injury Network to provide Trauma resources specific to burns injuries including guidelines, checklists and additional resources.
• Interactive Burns Calculator:
The calculator enables automatic determination of the total body surface area (TBSA) of burn injury by allowing the user to mark the area of burn injury on a body chart. Additionally entering a weight, time since burn and fluid already administered allows automatic calculation of the fluid requirement for the first eight hours since the time of injury and the following 16 hours, expected urine output and maintenance fluids required.
• Detailed NSW health facility information:
Provides information such as site specific details, resource availability and contact information of more than 200 facilities. This enables onsite and remote clinicians to provide location specific advice, enabling the patient to receive timely treatment and progress through the trauma system, reducing unwarranted clinical variation.
• Trauma related medical calculators, Interactive checklists and Clinical timestamps
User evaluations show that the NSW Trauma App has resulted in improving access to user friendly trauma resources informing adult and paediatric care givers; including guidelines and facility information, educational material and updated evidence-based practice.
Benefits of the app relate to patients, clinicians and the trauma system through access to appropriate and timely evidence-cased trauma care, improved patient experience, easy access to clinical support tools and improved standardisation of care.
In conjunction with our partners and based on your feedback, the following new features have been added:
• Fixed-wing bases (in purple) are now identified separately to the helicopter bases.
• Fixed-wing ETA including flight times.
• Trauma staging hospitals are separately identified (in blue).
• New Education tile on the home screen linking you directly to trauma education videos.
• IR services for haemorrhage control are included facility information.
• Pop up disclaimer message will occur each time the app opens.
• A number of backend modifications, keeping alignment with other system changes
- Agency for Clinical Innovation
- 29.9 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Danish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © The Agency for Clinical Innovation for and on behalf of the State of New South Wales.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.