OpenVPN Connect is the official full-featured iPhone/iPad VPN client for the OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Community, developed by OpenVPN Technologies, Inc.
* Easily import .ovpn profiles from iTunes, OpenVPN Access Server or via a browser link.
* State-of-the-art power management technology minimizes battery usage.
* Support for multi-factor authentication using OpenVPN static and dynamic challenge/response protocols.
* Full IPv6 support (at both the tunnel and transport layer).
* uses mbedTLS (not affected by Heartbleed issue)
* Removed the Private Tunnel section. The Private Tunnel app can be downloaded from the App Store separately
* Improved connection stability when device is in sleep mode
* Improved error messages during profile import and connection attempts
* Improved security by saving profile passwords in System Security storage
* Changed timeout logic when network is unavailable
* Fixed usage of basic authentication for proxies
* Fixed the ‘AES-CBC cipher algorithm’ setting to help connect to legacy servers
* Other various connectivity fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Lacks support for Elliptic Curve Crypto
Original review: I was glad to see a new version available after so long, but have been dismayed to find that, in the few days since updating, the app has silently dropped my connection twice, exposing an unknown amount of my traffic. This behaviour was extremely rare on my previous version (the one released prior to the one before the current version).
Addendum: Apple appear to have added a requirement that apps request permission to create and modify VPN settings. This only became apparent after re-installing the app, and the prompts appeared. Since then, I have had no drop-outs. Rating changed to reflect this.
I (still) echo thejayjaycee's sentiment: development is too slow. Perhaps a link to a donations page should be in the next version (if Apple's Ts & Cs permit such a thing)?
Terrible UI, but the official option
As Apple does not fully support the OpenVPN protocol I have to rely on this third-party app. In fact, I have been relying on it now for about a year and a half and can confirm that until the profiles I was using began insisting on passwords I was actually relying on Apple Settings UI to be able to switch between locations, now I have to do it in the OpenVPN app :(
In order to get profiles onto your iPhone you have to pass them through the open VPN app via iTunes, and it as always been such an ugly process, I wish I could still use the Apple provided UI for on phone operations. However, the OpenVPN app does provide clinical data for those more concerned.
One of the most frustrating things is having to keep an eye open to see if a VPN connection is actually active (clearly visible in the status bar), as it can sometimes drop and that is not what you want. I wish there was a way to block Wi-Fi unless an active VPN connection was established, and also automatically rotate between uploaded profiles.
It is clear that the developers come from another platform, possibly another time: like Blackberry? It is a really out of place UI and I don’t believe anybody would use this app unless it was necessary.
OpenVPN has had enough time to revamp their UI by now, yet haven’t bothered, I doubt they will before WireGuard inevitably takes its place.
Does what it says on the tin! (update!)
Whilst a little tricky to install, or at least tricky for my older generation(!), like READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS before you proceed, when set up it works exceedingly well. Our rental this year, in France, is owned by Germans and the TV would have been a problem, as their satellite reception is, of course, in German, but, with this app I was able to watch all the football and tennis on UK TV! Not best thing since sliced bread, but, very near to it! Now used this EXCELLENT service for the second year (2017), and, and it really is exceptional! If you want to watch UK TV abroad it really is the very best option!
- OPENVPN TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- 15.1 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © OpenVPN, Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.