*** Please do not use reviews to report bugs or ask for features. I almost never read the reviews and I cannot contact you for additional information! Contact email@example.com instead ***
Outside Maps is an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application that enables you to view and navigate a wide variety of mapping data using an easy-to-use touch interface.
Outside Maps supports Ordnance Survey mapping for Great Britain at various scales including 1:50000.
Outside Maps supports WORLDWIDE coverage for OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap and the Stamen and Thunderforest map sources.
Outside Maps supports historic 1" Ordnance Survey mapping from 1880-1990 and 1921-1947 courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Outside Maps supports shaded terrain data for the UK only derived from Ordnance Survey OS Terrain 50.
Outside Maps includes ESRI aerial photography courtesy of ESRI.
Outside Maps includes the following features:
- Intuitive "slippy maps" interface
- Native iPad support in both portrait and landscape modes
- Current Ordnance Survey mapping including 1:50000 scale is available
- OpenStreetMap and derived data is supported at all available resolutions
- Historic 1" Ordnance Survey data from 1880-1990 and 1921-1947
- OpenCycleMap support
- Thunderforest "Landscape" and "Transport" mapping support
- Stamen mapping support
- ESRI aerial imagery
- Hill-shading mapping for the UK
- Full Ordnance Survey OSTN02 adjustments for highest accuracy (+/- 1m accuracy)
- Real-time position tracking via GPS (or WiFi-based positioning)
- Compass and bearing (either using GPS and movement tracking or hardware compass if available)
- "Lookahead" feature when moving at > 5mph
- Waypoints functionality including import and export via GPX format
- OS OpenSpace-driven postcode and placename lookup (online only)
- Grid reference and latitude/longitude lookup (offline)
- what3words support (online only)
Ratings and Reviews
Great for map geeks!
Being fascinated by old maps, this seems to be the only app I can find where you can a gps location in real time overlaid on a map that is over a hundred years old. For a free app this is great and I would love to see more developments on this neglected niche of historical maps. I find the historic maps do not zoom in enough though, and is hard to see detail on a phone screen. I would like to see some of the more detailed historic maps incorporated within in app with zoom and overlay feature. I wait in anticipation for this to appear! But this particular app, for a free download, is an excellent and fascinating tool for map geeks.
Good maps app.
Works well and I can see myself using in the future.
If the developer is reading this, I must bring your attention to an annoying issue. The select maps source menu cannot be read since both the background and the text is white.
I am using iPhone XR.
Please fix new bug
Text to select map source has become invisible after latest update - white on white background when using dark theme - almost unusable now. Great app otherwise. As I mainly switch to OpenStreetMap it is frustrating trying to choose from the invisible text options for the map source. Please also include an option for selected map source to remain as the default choice. Also the tile cache seems unreliable when offline. Many thanks for working on this super-useful app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Replicade Ltd.
- 4.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2021 Outside Maps
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.