Outside Maps is an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application that enables you to view and navigate a wide variety of mapping data using an easy-to-use touch interface.
Outside Maps supports Ordnance Survey mapping for Great Britain at various scales including 1:50000.
Outside Maps supports WORLDWIDE coverage for OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap and the Stamen and Thunderforest map sources.
Outside Maps supports historic 1" Ordnance Survey mapping from 1880-1990 and 1921-1947 courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Outside Maps supports shaded terrain data for the UK only derived from Ordnance Survey OS Terrain 50.
Outside Maps includes ESRI aerial photography courtesy of ESRI.
Outside Maps includes the following features:
- Intuitive "slippy maps" interface
- Native iPad support in both portrait and landscape modes
- Current Ordnance Survey mapping including 1:50000 scale is available
- OpenStreetMap and derived data is supported at all available resolutions
- Historic 1" Ordnance Survey data from 1880-1990 and 1921-1947
- OpenCycleMap support
- Thunderforest "Landscape" and "Transport" mapping support
- Stamen mapping support
- ESRI aerial imagery
- Hill-shading mapping for the UK
- Full Ordnance Survey OSTN02 adjustments for highest accuracy (+/- 1m accuracy)
- Real-time position tracking via GPS (or WiFi-based positioning)
- Compass and bearing (either using GPS and movement tracking or hardware compass if available)
- "Lookahead" feature when moving at > 5mph
- Waypoints functionality including import and export via GPX format
- OS OpenSpace-driven postcode and placename lookup (online only)
- Grid reference and latitude/longitude lookup (offline)
- what3words support (online only)
- 1880-1900 1" Ordnance Survey mapping courtesy of the National Library of Scotland
- ESRI aerial photography layer
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Developers please read
I've been using this app for some time now and have always found it to be an excellent addition to my arsenal of mapping app's BUT ever since your recent update I've been unhappy with it as you have removed the ability to save your waypoint locations to a specific area, they now move all around the map if your finger accidentally swipes over them. Please could you reinstate the 'Save Waypoint' feature.
Great map system
This set of maps is ideal as an aid for people interested in the history of a landscape,but equally useful for modern day use if you don’t need up to the minute changes in the road system.
Best Map-App for Travellers
A while back an iOS update knocked-out the functionality of this Map, and some would-be users didn't realise that this wasn't Haud-Me-Back's fault (with quite unfair criticisms); anyway there's obviously been a lot of hard working going on and early this month Outside Maps once again started to work again ..... I reckon even better than before !
Obviously Ordnance Survey only covers UK, but selecting OpenStreetMap gives me Europe and some parts of Africa (I haven't explored it all yet); I've found OpenCycleMap particularly useful ..... when I visited the NW Italian Med very recently.
Back to UK and myself ......., with both my wife and I needing reading glasses these days for paper versions, I can enlarge the screen picture on my iPad-Mini enough to give us directly readable OS Maps; more easily viewed detail and a pleasure to use; makes us both feel 'young' again !
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.