A powerful, simple, award-winning podcast player. Featured by the App Store as Editor's Choice and critically acclaimed by The Verge, TechCrunch, 9to5Mac, AppAdvice, and more.
No big company or VC funding here — Overcast is the only major podcast app written by a single person.
The Verge: “The best podcast app for the iPhone”
9to5Mac: "Overcast is the best podcast app that I’ve ever used”
AppAdvice: "Our favorite podcast client"
Six Colors: "My podcast player of choice"
The Sweet Setup: “Overcast is our favorite”
Cult of Mac: “It’s the best podcast app out there”
TIME: “Overcast lives up to its lofty claims”
iMore: "My personal favorite"
TechCrunch: “There is no reason why you should still be using the Podcasts app over Overcast”
Overcast is a modern, fully featured audio podcast app with many useful features in a simple, intuitive interface:
- Smart Speed saves time without distorting the audio or sounding unnatural.
- Voice Boost makes every podcast the same volume with a broadcast-quality remastering engine.
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even offline.
- Search and browse for new podcasts, plus get personalized recommendations.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Receive optional notifications when new episodes arrive.
- Subscribe to a podcast, or just add an episode: try new shows without committing.
- Sleep timer automatically stops playback after any time interval you set.
- Apple Watch app with standalone playback and cellular streaming.
- CarPlay support.
And Overcast has world-class privacy, with no third-party analytics, ad services, or tracking code.
Overcast is funded by ads that promote other podcasts. If you choose to purchase Overcast Premium to hide these ads, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Current price for Overcast Premium is $9.99 USD per year, and may vary from country to country.
Proudly made in New York.
- Everyone hated the new "unplayed" logic, so I changed it back to the previous logic (meaning "not deleted")
- Renamed Unplayed sections to "Current" (let's give that a try)
- In the list-filter selector on the home screen, restored Archive and removed Active
- Reduced sync frequency when not necessary to improve battery life and reduce data usage
- Not-yet-downloaded podcasts now count as current/unplayed
- Fixed widget sometimes showing completed episodes
- Fixed VoiceOver announcing wrong episode count on podcast rows
Ratings and Reviews
Overcast really loves podcasts. You can tell. Everything here has clearly been the result of a lot of podcast listening, and the result is an app that does everything you want to do without unnecessary features or unnecessary fuss.
I'm sorry to say my hopes are dashed. The Apple Watch addition just doesn't work. I've tried auto sync and manual but it just won't consistently send my podcasts to my watch to play without my phone. I'm so disappointed. This is still easily a 5 star app but the Watch feature is no good at the moment. I'll keep hoping. App is brilliant- watch is not.
5.0 Update- YES! Apple Watch support!! No need for my phone to listen now, using my watch as a standalone podcast player will be amazing- I say 'will be' because I'm having issues actually transferring the podcast to my watch. With the 5.0.1 update I have managed to transfer about 5 shows but it's a little inconsistent still and I can't leave it overnight to sync. Having said this, the app is getting better and better over the 2-3 years I have been using it so I'm impressed with the improvements that are ongoing.
----I have used many, MANY different podcast apps over the years- then I found Overcast. Simple and powerful with a free (unintrusive ad supported) or paid version which is well priced but doesn't offer much benefit. Don't bother searching for other podcast apps. Just use this one- trust me!
The smart playlists are a game changer!
I haven’t liked the Apple podcast format for a while but couldn’t use it any more after the latest 14.5.1 update . It’s awful! I looked into other podcast providers. I listen to podcasts for around 8 hours per day. Castro was recommended for heavy podcast users. I tried it but didn’t find it all that user friendly and it wasn’t much of an improvement on the iOS version. Then I tried Overcast. It’s perfect! Simple, easy & very clear. Things are sorted neatly and there is no stress. The best feature is smart playlists. You set up a smart playlist, give it a title like ‘sports’ add your sports podcasts to it - your sports podcast will download straight to that playlist - you can select how you group them, newest to oldest or sorted by podcast series, probably a few more options too - you can select priority podcasts within the playlist so that they always go straight to the top. It’s perfect, simple and easy to use. Things are sorted how I want them to be.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Overcast Radio, LLC
- 15.5 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014–2022 Overcast Radio, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Overcast Premium £8.99
Get things done within this app using just your voice.