Oxford Dictionary of English is widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of English language globally, with more than 150 years of research behind it. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, it features advanced search and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary database, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the English language.
• The strength of The Oxford English Corpus' research excellence is directly presented at your fingertips.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations (Premium only).
LATEST APP UPDАТES
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood of your favorite color.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With convenient Home page, more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak by using Talk & Translate – Use the speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will be there to help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for.
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized.
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
Get even more with PREMIUM
• Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster with the integrated pronunciations.
• Offline mode - Save words on your device and view them without internet connection.
• Priority support - Get support with priority for any app-related issues.
• No ads – Enjoy an ad-free learning experience.
•Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I have bought this app with the speaker functionality and was working very good.
Suddenly everything stops and the app couldn’t open. I had to download it again from iCloud to use it again but
The speaker doesn’t work and all my favourite words gone.
The worst thing is it asked me to buy again which i have already paid for premium, I was very disappointed and rate the app with one star but after few days I got a notification of updates and I started to update the app , then the speaker functionality started except all my favourite words which are not there any more.
At the beginning I was so disappointed but now once the pronunciation speaker is working, my faith on recommending this app restored.
I really like this dictionary as it is very useful especially the one with speaker functionality and no advertising pop ups.
I gave the app 4 stars,
Just because it didn’t restore my favourite words I couldn’t give the app 5 stars which really deserves.
Therefore , I highly recommend this app to anyone who wants to have dictionary.
It worths buying it.
A must have app
I really like it - simple but effective, vast improvement in look and feel as well as effectiveness on the paper versions. Not sure what the premium edition looks like. I enjoy the daily incursion into my intellectual part of life too. Recommend it to anyone to have the free app and if you want to use it professionally then go and pay for premium!
Paid for App is not as good, keeps forcing you to invite friends and rate the app. Hence it is NOT worth paying the price for intrusion! Very frustrating. Best to have the free app as the intrusion is tolerable and goes away. Paid app keeps on being persistent . Why pay to get annoyed? Sound options on paid one is not of exceptional use to anyone.
Absolute rubbish. Doesn’t save the trip to the bookcase for the real thing.
A ‘new’ word every day that - unless you are foreign or have the brain power of a 2 year old - you will have known since you can speak. And then, when you actually look something up, you get about 5 seconds to read it before the ads come. I’m going to delete.
Also - dear app creators - who is your market? Only those interested in words are going to want a dictionary so some useful words that we don’t hear or see too often would be genuinely interesting, but you supply words of the day like ‘jagged’, ‘whopping’ and ‘heli-skiing’. And guys, words and definitions are not the same thing. And ‘-ence’ is not a word. It’s a part of a word. And sentences should not begin with ‘and’ - but you leave me no choice. I hate your dictionary and I certainly wouldn’t waste money on buying the ad free version. Sort it out.
- MobiSystems, Inc.
- 255.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 MobiSystems, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Oxford Dictionary of English £9.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English £4.99
- Oxford Dictionary of English £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.