From area and perimeter of rectangles and triangles to patterns composed of polygons and circles -- SEE square units and UNDERSTAND relationships of shapes.
Students learn to understand and calculate area and perimeter in 42 multiple-choice activities in 7 levels of graduated difficulty, starting with rectangles and squares and ending with patterns composed of squares, triangles, other polygons, and circles.
• 7 levels are: Rectanglia (rectangles and squares), Trianglia I (right, acute, and obtuse triangles, compared to rectangles and other parallelograms), Trianglia II (rotated right, isosceles right, isosceles, equilateral, obtuse, and acute triangles), Quadrilateralia (kite, rhombus, right trapezoid -- or trapezium, isosceles trapezoid, and some odd quadrilaterals), Polygonia (regular and irregular pentagons, hexagons, and octagons), Circlia (circles), and Compositonia (patterns made from other shapes).
• A background grid of square units visually shows the meaning of area in initial activities and reinforces understanding in subsequent selected activities.
• Activities to develop understanding are introduced before mathematical expressions to help students remember the meaning of expressions and why they are used for calculations.
• Parallelograms, including rectangles, are described from the beginning using vocabulary of "base" and "height" in order to make language consistent for a wider range of shapes.
• The relationships between different shapes and calculations for area and perimeter are shown through activities that directly compare shapes and their sizes when they share one or more measurements.
• Early activities use integer measurements; later activities, as appropriate, include decimal measurements.
• As activities increase in difficulty, students must pay attention to details by identifying and choosing pertinent information (e.g., base of rotated shapes) to make appropriate and accurate calculations.
• Requires only single touches to make a choice from multiple options.
• Game-like environment provides immediate feedback in a non-busy setting conducive to thoughtful exploration.
• Self-contained; students will not see ads or have access to in-app purchases or the Internet from within this app.
Please review this app if you find it useful!
Updated for new guidelines; minor changes within app
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Karen McDonald
- 21.2 MB
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Karen McDonald
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.