“…a powerful music utility that is perfect for getting reacquainted with your favorite tunes.” — John Voorhees, MacStories.net
Featured in Macworld’s “Alternatives to Apple’s iOS Music app”, Picky is for people particular about their music, giving you full control over how you browse and listen to your albums and songs.
‣ Picky keeps your Artists and Albums lists uncluttered by hiding those with only a few songs – simply adjust the filters to taste.
‣ Queue up tracks to play later: simply swipe to the left on a song until the ‘+’ icon appears and turns solid orange, then let go to enqueue it.
‣ Use Picklists to quickly play (or enqueue) groups of songs – like playing an album without its bonus tracks.
‣ Picky lets you easily filter your Songs and Albums lists by genre (or by multiple genres). You can do things like quickly put together a mix by opening the filter, tapping on a few genres, and then closing it and tapping Shuffle.
‣ Easily sort the main Albums list or artists’ album lists with just a couple taps: by title, release date, duration, or by date added to your library.
‣ You can use the Artists and Songs filters to keep singles and one-hit-wonders tucked away, or bring them into focus when you really want to listen to them.
‣ Picky intelligently combines both grouping by artist and by album artist, so you'll always find your songs where you expect them to be. But if you prefer just one of the groupings, you can easily change that with a setting.
‣ Quickly see the list of your currently playing songs by simply swiping up in the Now Playing view.
‣ Picky is designed for iOS 12 and works with AirPlay 2, in-line headphone remotes, Split View, Control Center, 3D Touch, VoiceOver, iTunes Match, and Apple Music that has been added to your collection. You can use Picky exclusively or seamlessly switch between it and the system Music app.
Picky: for listeners with refined taste.
‣ Picky now always opens up to the last tab you were on (Artists, Albums, Songs, or Playlists).
‣ Album detail screens now show total times in hours and minutes, and Playlist detail screens now show total times too.
‣ Picky now supports AirPlay 2, including an updated menu for choosing your audio destination and support for multiple AirPlay speakers at once.
‣ Queuing up large numbers of songs is now much smoother, the Now Playing queue is now properly updated when shuffling songs, and it won’t show up filled with untitled tracks when returning from the background. Unfortunately due to system limitations I’ve also had to remove the ability to remove tracks from the queue.
‣ Optimizations for the newest iPad Pro screen sizes.
‣ Loading improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
The Best Music App I’ve Found!
By far the best thing about Picky is the ease with which it lets you navigate your music if you happen to have an extensive library - something that seems to have become needlessly laborious with the stock music app in recent years. The layout is neat, the interface is user-friendly and the design is simple, to the point and nice to look at; I particularly like how the main play screen incorporates the colours of the currently playing track’s album artwork. The ability to create playlists on the fly is also particularly handy.
The only music player I use any more!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the kind words — so glad Picky is solving your music needs!
Finally can replace music app!
All I really wanted was the ability to Yasui the screen and see lyrics, for my Japanese lessons, on a larger enough screen which apple removed some time ago.
It would be nice to select the text too and copy and paste or look up on the dictionary.
It would also be nice to air drop music files to the app, but I'm happy with it.
And the dark mode is perfect. Thank you to the developer.
Developer Response ,
Cool, I never thought Picky would be used for learning! I could look into enabling text selection for lyrics if that’d be helpful 🙂
Much better than Apples own app
Developer Response ,
Glad you find Picky so useful!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.