PlaceTrack is back and it's FREE (limited-time offer)
PlaceTrack is a full-featured, location sharing platform. Keep a personal journal from your location data or track your loved ones, check the speed they are travelling, get directions to their current location, view a street level picture of any place they are or they have been, check and follow a GPX track or a previous Apple Watch workout route.
- safely share your location with the people you trust, in real time
- live data: force a contact’s device to immediately send a fresh location
- passive and battery friendly: run in the background with no noticeable impact on battery life, location is periodically updated as the device moves
- context data: location data can include location history, speed and course, altitude, whether you’re walking, running, moving in a vehicle or resting
- you are in control: set who sees your current location or who has access to your location history
- excellent battery usage: PlaceTrack uses SLC mode (Significant Location Change) and region monitoring, NOT continuous background. PlaceTrack is suspended in the background most of the time and is woken up only when you move significantly (detected using cell towers signal); most of the time it just sleeps and the GPS hardware is powered off to preserve battery. Install the app and forget about it
- save your location history for later viewing
- optionally share your recent location or location history with authorized PlaceTrack contacts
- forced contact location updates: you can ask for a live location update from a contact and the backend platform will silently ask your contact device for a new location update
- delayed sync: stores your locations when network is unreachable and pushes them to the PlaceTrack servers when you're back online
- in-app streetview images
- location sharing works using address book phone numbers: your phone number is authenticated through an sms code on your first activation
- your data, including your phone number and location, is always sent on a secure connection (ssl) and is never shared with any third party
PlaceTrack location sharing platform is now available again, rewritten from scratch!
what's new in 4.2.x:
- direction arrows on GPX overlays
- minor fixes and improvements
New in PlaceTrack 4.x:
- modern UI
- share or just keep a personal journal of location data, speed, course, altitude, activity (inferred from motion data), battery level
- smart background mode: app works only as you move with almost no impact on phone battery. Install the app and forget about it
- your location is safe and never shared with anyone
- import GPX and Apple Watch workouts tracks as overlays
- export any data as GPX files
- fine-grained access control to your data
Ratings and Reviews
Had high expectation for this app but it just doesn't work as advertised. Whilst it may be issues on Apple side or Developer side (as the developer does point out an apparent iOS issue) but the fact still remains the app doesn't work well. It seems to work randomly (for example, I moved places 3 times, at least 15 miles apart over 3 hour period but the app showed I was still at first location 5 hours ago - which is as good as useless to know). The same apparent random reporting from friend's & partner's iPhone & the app. Also even though the settings was set to highest accuracy (10m) & longest GPS duration, the actual location reported was half a mile away (advertised "find your lost iPhone" - with that level of accuracy, I don't think so). So all in all, it had potential but performance is poor. Perhaps much of what I noted above could have been resolved if the app had option to force manual sync, say intervals of 15, 30 or 60 minutes, as depending on cell tower changes to log updates don't work in UK.
Being this is a paid app and it was purchased for life and death use - IE, tracking an elderly relative (else what is the point of the app? Knowing where your friends are is a case of phoning them, you don't need to track them on a map!), then a payment should be offered by Apple to the developer so he or she can in turn refund the customers. Again, this is a mission critical life and death use app, and so must work or be refunded.
Very nicely done!
I've tried all the latitude updaters I can find for iPhone now, and it must be said that this is by far the most professionally done. Nice interface and easy to set up/use. Also simple to turn off, which is something that seems to be an issue with a couple of others I could mention.
What I'd really like to see though, as mentioned in other reviews, is OPTIONAL scheduled updates (so your position appears reasonably relevant even if you haven't moved in ages). Ideally 20-30 minute intervals, so as not to hammer the battery.
Also, nitpicking, the buttons are a tad small (friends button for example), takes me a few goes to hit them usually. No biggie there though...
Purchasers please note the comment in the built-in help: there is currently an issue with one of apple's APIs that can stop the automatic updates from working in the background. This affects all apps using the significant location change API (cell tower switch detection) and there's nothing developers can do until Apple issues a fix via OS update.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nico Tranquilli
- 16.3 MB
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2021 Nico Tranquilli
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.