• Detailed worldwide maps and travel guides • Topographic contour maps for the outdoors • Works completely offline even with GPS • Great when abroad or in the wilderness, NO data roaming charges • Online routing with offline Voice Guidance and much more!
« Reviews »
“I love this technology” – Natali Morris, Tech Reporter, NBC’s Today Show
Editor's Pick Best Offline Map App – thedigitaltrekker.com
“The best travel app in the world… Don’t leave home without it!” – bonvoyageurs.com
“Very impressive app with unmatched features.” – toptenreviews.com
« Maps »
• Beautiful Retina quality maps at a fraction of the size! The fastest and most beautiful offline maps on the App Store!
• Detailed and interactive worldwide maps! More than 100,000 places & completely free!
• Access your maps online and offline! Saves on data roaming costs!
• Personalize the maps to show the info you want!
• Online Routing with voice guided turn by turn directions. Save your multi-stop itineraries for offline navigation!
• Online street address search and contacts integration!
• Did we mention everything is offline? Works anywhere- cities, small towns, even in the middle of nowhere. Never any roaming charges. We dare you to try it!
« For the Traveler »
• Find out about thousands of interesting places - hotels, restaurants, bars, tourist sites, even get metro and public transit info!
• Our super wide area Nearby search is also super fast!
• Have all the travel info you need with more than 25,000 detailed Wikivoyage Travel Guides and more than 1 million Wikipedia articles in 7 languages! All offline of course!
• Customizable Pins and favorites groups! Add notes and mark and share favorite spots!
• Share maps links and your current location (SMS, Facebook, WhatsApp, Email, etc)!
« For the Adventurer »
• An in-app purchase option offers topographic maps. Get high performance, high accuracy 10m / 50ft contour display world-wide. The ONLY offline app that lets you download large areas, even entire countries! Contours are displayed on our existing maps for all Activities.
• Hiking and Cycling maps! Great for geocaching and getting off the track!
• GPS track recording lets you see what route you took! Great for hikes, cycling and off road! Never get lost again!
• Import/Export support for GPX and CSV files! Share with friends using PE Archives.
• Displays and lets you search for map coordinates (including DD, DDM, DMS, MGRS, UTM/UPS, GeoHash, and what3words)!
• Numerous GPS settings for your preferred configuration including compass and heading arrow or rotation, look ahead mode, accuracy and recording settings.
...and much more - so try it out!
« How's it Work? »
Just select the cities, regions, or even whole countries you want to download, and it will be available for offline use, complete with information on thousands of POIs (Points of Interest), travel guides and Wikipedia articles.
To do this we utilize community driven open data from a number of amazing projects. We use some magik to compress and package it in a format optimized for mobile devices. Pocket Earth then renders its beautiful vector maps on your device using our OpenGL ES based MagikMap technology.
To learn more about Pocket Earth or the community driven open data sources that we use, please visit our website.
Don’t forget this:
1. Using the GPS features of this app can significantly affect battery life. Only leave GPS enabled when you need to use it. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Pocket Earth only uses GPS in the background for route navigation and gps track recording features.
2. This app uses data from the amazing community driven open mapping project called openstreetmap.org! Coverage detail may vary by region, please visit our website to check the map detail for your regions of interest.
3. Does not currently support all asian texts on the map (Chinese, Japanese, etc).
Ratings and Reviews
The best maps on an iOS device
I have an OS maps subscription, Google and Apple maps and I e tried pretty much every mapping app on the store. Pocket Earth has a couple of major advantages over the others:
1: You can keep offline maps on your device. Really, detailed ones with all the POIs and the file size is remarkably small.
2: Speed. You can pan around and zoom in/out as fast as you like, the app will keep up with you.
I still use OS maps for topography and footpaths while hiking, but for everyday (what’s around me?) Pocket Earth is awesome. I’m at a golf club right now and I’ve compared the map detail with Apple and Google maps - Pocket Earth has far more detail on where the various parts of the golf course and the club buildings are. ATMs, bars, restaurants, even the names of the buildings.
The app has a couple of downsides, most notably that the turn by turn routing isn’t great, it’s hard to plot and hard to see while driving, so for that, you’re better off with a driving GPS app. Overall though if you’re a map nerd or just want to see the best overview of what’s around you when you travel, you should have this app on your phone. If you travel abroad and need detailed offline maps then it’s indispensable.
Perfect travel maps
In the UK I use ViewRanger for OS maps but on holiday this is my go to app. By paying a bit extra you get contours and whilst not quite as good as OS they are generally easily accurate enough to work from for a bike ride or a hill walk. In addition, if you see something out of the train/car window odds on it will have a Wikipedia note you can tap on. It’s great to be able to download it so even if you are Wi-fi- less you can still function. Also perfect for navigating round town. Never really tried the route planning feature I just do that myself!
3 This is my third comment. And I meant to give you 4 stars this time!
Pocket Earth is good, it’s world wide and I wouldn’t be without it but it’s not easy to use on an iPad and even worse on a wonderful iPad mini!
And it’s really really frustrating when one looses stuff when you zoom in, particularly when you loose a place name or half a place name.
Please tidy it up as I’d love to give you 5 stars,!!
2 My original comment is below and since then I have discovered some of the problems. Eg yesterday I mapped a cycle route across Holland.
1 The node points and numbers only appear on the most magnified maps making it difficult to map
2 Sometimes it seems the numbers one and next are on different levels
3 Then having downloaded the map at the most magnified level every time I turned the map on I lost a different part of the map.
4 It makes using the app for cycling difficult and frustrating
ORIGINAL COMMENT OF 2014 which still is true.
Probably the most brilliant App I have down loaded. I use it daily, I have down loaded brilliant maps in both UK and NZ, I haven't mastered it yet, I need to work on the route mapping facility and there may be some small glitches there. But quite brilliant, I wouldn't be without Pocket Earth.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- GeoMagik LLC
- 34.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012 GeoMagik LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Topographic Maps £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.