Loved by creative professionals and aspiring artists alike, Procreate is the leading creative application made for iPad.
Offering hundreds of handmade brushes, a suite of innovative artistic tools, an advanced layer system, and the lightning fast Valkyrie graphics engine, Procreate gives you everything you need to create expressive sketches, rich paintings, gorgeous illustrations and beautiful animations. Work on the couch, on the train, at the beach, or while waiting in line for coffee. It's a complete art studio you can take anywhere; packed with these powerful features and more:
- Ultra High Definition canvases - up to 16k by 4k on iPad Pros
- Beautifully intuitive interface made for iPad and Apple Pencil
- Revolutionary QuickShape feature for perfect shapes
- Smooth and responsive smudge sampling
- Powered by Valkyrie: the fastest 64-bit painting engine for iPad
- Connect a keyboard to use shortcuts for advanced features
- Create art in stunning 64-bit colour
- 250 levels of undo and redo
- Continuous auto-save - never lose work again
• Breakthrough brushes:
- Packed with hundreds of beautifully crafted brushes
- Brush sets keep your painting, sketching and drawing brushes organised
- Over 100 customizable settings for every brush
- Brush Studio – design your own custom Procreate brushes
- Import and export custom Procreate brushes
- Import Adobe® Photoshop® brushes, and run them faster than Photoshop®
• Full-featured layering system:
- Layer your art for precise control over details and composition
- Create Layer Masks and Clipping Masks for non-destructive editing
- Stay organised by combining layers into Groups
- Select multiple layers to move or Transform objects simultaneously
- Access over 25 layer blend modes for industry grade compositing
• Colour without compromise:
- Fill your line work with ColorDrop and SwatchDrop
- Disc, Classic, Harmony, Value and Palette colour panels
- Import colour profiles for colour matching
- Assign Colour Dynamics to any brush
• The design tools you need:
- Add vector Text to your illustrations
- Easily import all your favourite fonts
- Crop and Resize your canvas for the perfect composition
- Perspective, Isometric, 2D, and Symmetry visual guides
- Drawing Assist perfects your strokes in real time
- Streamline smooths out your strokes for beautiful lettering and expert inking
- Use Scribble to name layers, change settings and create text
• Animation Assist
- Easy frame by frame animation with automatic onion skinning
- Create storyboards, GIFs, animatics and simple animations
• Dramatic finishing effects:
- Brush in image adjustments and effects with your Apple Pencil while keeping the ability to fine-tune its effects - Glitch, Chromatic Aberration, Bloom, Noise and Halftone add new dimensions to your work
- Gaussian, Motion, and Perspective Blur filters create depth and movement
- Powerful image adjustments including Colour Balance, Curves, HSB and Gradient Map
- Let the mind-bending powers of Warp, Symmetry, and Liquify Dynamics bring your art to life
• Time-lapse replay
- Relive your creative journey with Procreate's celebrated Time-lapse Replay
- Export your Time-lapse recording in 4K for high-end video production
- Share a thirty-second version of your Time-lapse recording with your social networks
Share your creations:
- Import or export your art as Adobe® Photoshop® PSD files - Import Adobe® ASE and ACO Colour Palettes
- Import images files such as JPG, PNG and TIFF
- Export your art as layered native .procreate file, PSD, TIFF, transparent PNG, multi-page PDF, web ready JPEG, and animated GIFs, PNGs, and MP4s
- Drag and drop artworks, brushes, palettes, and fonts between applications
This update has performance improvements and even more layers for the new M1 iPad Pros.
Ratings and Reviews
Procreate lets you generate high-caliber artwork at a blistering pace using a robust layering system, stunning filters, and thousands of importable brushes. Plus, Savage Interactive’s super-intuitive app supports pressure sensitivity and Apple Pencil—as well as iCloud Drive and a seamless video recording of each brushstroke—so sharing your work is incredibly simple.
I have a few annoying problems.
Okay, this is a okay app. I’m glad I didn’t have to pay monthly and the brushes and the layering and stuff like that is good but I don’t really recommend using the animation on this app because a layer counts as a frame so it’s really hard to do the animations. I always start with a sketch, then add a layer and do the lineart but in animation, I can’t do that so I really struggle to use it. And also, I wanted to animate a dog walking, so I decided to import my video of my dog walking so I could use it as a reference to help me with this animation. It was a one second video so I thought it would be alright and import perfectly fine. Well, it did import and show a tick which means it did do it, and then it put me on the canvas with the video but you could only see the video for a split second and then it disappears. Why does it do that? I edited the video to make it one second because I thought it may be to long so I made it short! All that time wasted. And two days ago I managed to get a video on perfectly fine but now I can’t a video of my dog in! Why? Please, please fix this! It’s driving me around the bend and it’s stupid. Fix this. Apart from that, good app I recommend it if you want to draw (not animate but it could work for some people but I struggle with it) but yeah it’s worth the price do get it apart from those few things
Developer Response ,
When creating a new custom canvas, you'll see your Maximum Layer limit when you input your canvas dimensions. You can also access this by swiping left on any custom canvas in the Create menu and tapping Edit. In regards to not importing your video, we have a bug at the moment that is stopping MP4 and GIF imports into Procreate. We are working on a fix for this in an upcoming patch. If you are experiencing other issues, please contact us via support.procreate.art and we will get back to you ASAP.
Overall amazing, some issues
There’s no denying that Procreate is an amazing app, and by far the best drawing app on the App Store. One of the additions that I was really excited for, however, was the animation tool. But sadly, I was disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, the animation system itself is fantastic. It’s reasonably easy to use, if a bit confusing at first. The let down was that there is no option to add audio. I believe that this would vastly improve the animation system and would bring it into regular use for me.
Another thing that is slightly lacking are the paint brushes. Not going to lie, the ones that are there feel stiff, and not at all like real paint. Some of the newer ones are better, but the older ones either need to be replaced or updated.
Anyways, if you’re thinking about buying this app for animation, I would recommend against it.
However if you have used photoshop and own brushes, you can use them in Procreate! This gives you access to the vastly superior paint brushes available for purchase.
Even without bonuses, the barebones app is still nice to use, it’s sleek and easy to navigate, and I’ve improved my digital art a lot through using it.
Developer Response ,
Hey CoolColaCat - thank you for the honest and helpful review of Procreate. We can totally understand your sentiment, and we'll do our best to improve on our various tools in the future. Your feedback regarding Animation Assist is very useful, thank you again! ☀️
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Savage Interactive Pty Ltd
- 326.1 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iPadOS 13.2 or later.
English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © Savage Interactive
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.