Improve your sight reading with immediate feedback of timing accuracy. Carefully graduated levels from simple to professional allow you to start at your best level and improve at your own pace, more rapidly than on your own instrument. Practice anytime and anywhere. Many advanced features.
- Common and rarer rhythms from 2 to 9 beats per bar (2/2, 3/2, 4/2, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 3/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8, 12/8).
- More than 200 fixed exercises (100 (longer ones) on iPad).
- Thousands of random exercises.
- Levels for absolute beginners as well as professionals.
- More difficult exercises include rests, ties, syncopations, duplets, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets.
- Option to add swing to every quarter note meter exercise.
- Different degrees of swing: light, medium and hard.
- Automatic count-off with one or two bars.
- Longer (random) exercises in landscape orientation.
PRACTICE & TEST MODE
- Practice mode: listen or tap along while the rhythm is played.
- Test mode: you hear the metronome and must read and tap the rhythm.
- Accuracy is instantly displayed visually (color and position) with each tap.
- Easily adjust metronome tempo by sliding or keypad.
- Two tap buttons for higher tempos.
- Any exercise can serve as a starting point for editing.
- The editor provides many options to tailor exercises to your needs.
- Designed to need very few taps.
- Includes an editor for ties.
- Unlimited undo.
- Add your exercises to favorites.
- Share these with others.
- Expert mode: a higher default tempo for the exercises plus more accuracy required in tapping.
- Endurance test (continuous reading).
- Speeding-up tests.
- Left- and right-hand independence: tap the beat and rhythm with two tap buttons.
- Note duration test.
- Count 6/8 in two (dotted quarter has the beat).
- Ear training function to help in rhythmic dictation.
- Frequency chart of tap results.
- Progress reports for fixed and random exercises.
- Mail your results: e.g. send your 100% score graphic or progress reports.
- Sounds of the app player, metronome and taps can be chosen from several percussive instruments.
- Optional stereo sound. Hear your taps in the right ear and the metronome/player in the left ear.
- Optional beat-counting voice function.
- Use of the microphone as an alternative to the tap buttons.
- Play the rhythm with hand claps, finger-snaps or an instrument.
- Sensitivity function.
- Support for external microphones.
- Very low latency (instant response).
- Left-handed tapping support.
- Classical as well as flat interface themes.
- Dark mode support.
- Universal app (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch).
- Support for all screen sizes, including all iPhone 11 models.
- 64-bit compatible.
- iOS 13 / iPadOS 13 tested.
- Minor corrections for older devices.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app but still room for improvement
I absolutely love this app and so do my piano students. It’s fun and very educational.
The only improvement I would ask for would be the ability to add bars rather than just taking them away.
If I have a student who is struggling with the rhythms in a four bar phrase of 4/4, I’d like to be able to input the rhythm into the app. As of yet, I haven’t managed to find a single exercise on the app that has four bars of 4/4.
Developer Response ,
UPDATE 21feb19: version 9.81 now has an Add bar button in the editor.
Great tool but has its faults
This is a great way to learn and develop your reading skills. However, you’re often presented with notation that is not technically notated correct. Those who understand basic theory will notice and understand. (ie, crotchets across beats where it should notated as two tied-quavers, etc) those who dont wont notice and may end up learning their theory wrong. (look out if you’re doing exams!!)
The author tells me this is intentional but it doesn't help those who want to “really” get to grips with reading notation and beats. If this is intentional then please let the user switch the option on/off, then it gets 5 stars
Clever but painful to navigate
This app is great and does exactly what I’d hoped for, but the constant back and forth between settings is ludicrously laborious and tedious. I’ve bought the app but simply can’t bring myself to use it any longer. Please, please address the navigational features and get the simple functionality in place.
Developer Response ,
For normal usage there is no need to switch back and forth between settings. However, to quickly change an option in Settings (e.g. switch the microphone on/off after each exercise), there is a Recents function to save taps and menu searches. This is a list of recently used Settings menus which is maintained automatically. This list can be reached from the navigation bar in Settings (tap Recents). This functionality is described in the Help for new users document. Hope this will help you, otherwise please let me know.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.