RunwayHD is a sophisticated planning and navigation tool for VFR flying which you can unlock for flight with your Airbox chart subscription*.
Runway HD features:
• Very fast moving map display.
• Grab and drag routes for rapid route planning.
• Always fly with the chart you are most familiar with. Download charts of anywhere in the world to your iPad. Choices include national aviation (ICAO) charts and privately created charts such as Bossy for France and Portolano for Italy (for a full list, please see our website).
• Vector charts available free of charge anywhere in the world which declutter as you zoom out and text rotates as you turn.
• Google Maps in-app integration; perfect for planning approaches.
• >30,000 free vector geo-referenced airfields
• In-flight navigation (requires Navigation/GPS subscription).
• Make perfect approaches every time with detailed approach plates now available for many countries.
• Full airport information.
• Detailed weather displayed on the map (TAF, METAR, rain radar (Europe), winds aloft.
• Visual NOTAM display and active download.
• Side profile including airspace and terrain.
• On-screen ruler for estimating distance and time between points.
• Scratch pad for writing important information directly onto the iPad.
• Automatic flight logging including ability to show flown tracks on the map.
• Dynamic map positioning to show maximum view of way ahead.
• Flight plan filing direct from the app.
• Create custom points of interest.
* Each Airbox subscription is valid for use on up to 2 devices.
* Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
This release adds support for ingestion of traffic data from SkyEcho and enables the use of GDL90 for GPS functionality. A number of other bugfixes have also been applied, particularly around issues with Notams.
Ratings and Reviews
I use this on a daily basis for instructing. The use of CAA half mil. and quarter mil. charts allows for seamless transition from paper chart to GPS, greatly aiding in the integration of GPS as a backup to dead reckoning. Initial planning using tap and drag of track is a great feature, allowing the pilot to consider various route options easily. Logged flights allows the pilot to review his track made good once back on the ground, and is a great teaching (and learning) aid. Tapping on an aerodrome to view Pooley's airfield plates is very useful. Filing flight plans is simple and free; once you have planned your route on the app and set up the details for your aircraft (you can have multiple ones), filing a plan takes just a couple of minutes, so long as you have access to wifi or a good phone signal. NOTAM which give a series of lat/long references, such as Red Arrows routes, are now plotted and displayed in the NOTAM display. Overall, this is a great app I highly recommend.
In your pocket
I really like this. It’s great knowing that I have a reliable GPS and moving map in my pocket when flying, especially in wave if cloud rolls in beneath. The airspace warnings work well and have stopped me from ‘breaking and entering’ a couple of times when focused on finding lift while near an airway. i like the info displayed when you tap a location, though I would like to see the airspace info in a bigger font, easier to see at a quick glance in a bright cockpit, and less need to scroll the info page. Love the cross fade into the OS map on zoom. I can use it when walking too or if I land out in my glider. It’s a bit costly on map subscriptions, still I would not want to delete it. I would like live track with colour coded height gain and loss for thermaling and wave. A good piece of kit overall
Historic Army Aircraft Flight & RunwayHD
I’ve had the privilege of using RunwayHD for the last few years whilst displaying with the HAAF. This navigation system is very user friendly and easy to use allowing me to dedicate the majority of my capacity to looking outside the cockpit and flying safely rather than navigating. With many additional applications it helps me plan successfully and brief my team clearly before flying. I cannot recommend this product highly enough. A must for all aircrew, professional and private alike.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Airbox Aerospace Ltd
- 651.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Airbox Aerospace Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Airspace Avoider (1 Year) £64.99
- CAA 500k South £24.99
- Pooleys Flight Guide £30.99
- Ordnance Survey 50k South £37.99
- CAA 500k All Charts £64.99
- UK CAA 500k South with Pooleys & GPS £94.99
- IGN 500k France £44.99
- CAA 500k Full UK with Navigation £129.99
- CAA 50k London Heli Routes £44.99
- CAA 250k All Charts with GPS Subscription £179.99