Sampletoy is a radical new musical instrument/plaything; part sampler, part granular synthesiser. Use it to capture sounds through the microphone, then play, loop, pitch and distort them live on the screen.
There are plenty of features under the hood, such as resonant filters, delays and envelope. You can enable "stepped" mode to play your sounds like a traditional keyboard, or keep it in "free" mode for some microtonal madness.
Once you've recorded a sound, use the main area of the screen to play it back at different pitches (up to 5 fingers at a time). You can crop the sound by dragging a selection over the waveform. The crop area is also multitouch and you can adjust the crop while playing the sound too.
The y-axis is pitch of the sound, and the x-axis is configurable to control filters or envelope.
You can record your performances on Sampletoy and send them via email within the app as a CD-quality wav file (mono or stereo)
* Create your own instruments out of any sound.
* Email your performances as audio files straight from the app.
* Built-in resonant filters, delay and envelope.
* Auto-saves current recording and state and recalls it again on next launch.
* Stepped mode allows chromatic, major, minor, pentatonic and whole-tone scales to be played.
* Totally multitouch - play up to 5 notes at once.
* 44kHz/16bit - professional quality sound.
* AudioBus3 output
* Import any audio file to Sampletoy from Files, Voice memos, DropBox etc
* Open non-audio files and hear what they sound like
* Bluetooth / Airplay support
* Built-in comprehensive manual.
* AudioShare now supports non-ascii file names
Ratings and Reviews
Well thought out
Very well thought out little sample app. Not sure 'sampletoy' really does it justice.
Simple to use (like a toy) but powerful enough for an adult (with a small brain) to make use of in a professional environment.
Worth the cash . 2 megs of bliss .
Sadly missing an update
This is literally one of the most fun, powerful audio apps I've found. It's a pity there doesn't seem to be any support or updates going, or anything similar on the App Store that I can find.
Like the other reviews say this is really good. Dont let the word 'toy' fool you. You can get some great stutter fx out of this.
So far the only stutter effect I've come across on the iPhone!
Desperately needs import/export!!! Sending sounds to my email is long and unnecessary. But better then nothing.
A BPM feature would be great also. That way you can create effects that are in time with your track.
Defiently worth buying though as I'm sure there will be updates.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.