March 2023 - Currently works for USA & UK only due to global weather service changes. A bug fix will be available soon. Clear Skies, Martin.
"Every amateur astronomer yearns for clear, dark skies, and this exhaustive app helps you find them."
- Sky At Night Magazine 2017
"Several astronomy-oriented weather apps are available, but Scope Nights has become my favorite… it does a fine job of summarizing the data in a clear and understandable fashion."
- Sky & Telescope Magazine 2015
"Conventional weather forecasts meet the needs of Earthly dwellers; news of cloud cover when sensible folk are asleep is hardly required. Now via this wonderful App… local forecasts for nocturnal weather… are now available."
- Astronomy Now Magazine 2012
If you’re a stargazer, astronomer or astrophotographer, analysing conventional weather forecasts for favourable night time conditions can be very time consuming, you just want to know when to plan your stargazing trip or set up your telescope. Scope Nights analyses night time weather forecast data for you and shows exactly when and where to go for the darkest and clearest skies, as well as offering customisable stargazing ratings to suit your telescope and observing habits, stargazing notifications, and a detailed light pollution map showing nearby dark sky sites and observatories. Finding clear dark skies and discovering the night sky has never been easier!
PLAN YOUR OBSERVING WITH CUSTOM STARGAZING RATINGS
• View at a glance which nights will be good for astronomy using smart weather analysis with clear stargazing ratings and animated weather icons to quickly see if it’s worth preparing your telescope or planning a stargazing trip
• Create custom stargazing ratings using observing thresholds for moon phase, wind, humidity and temperature. Choose night, evening or morning coverage to suit when you observe, the type of telescope, and the type of observing you plan to do.
• View at a glance which of your favourite Scope Sites will have the most suitable conditions
FIND DARK SKY SITES & OBSERVATORIES
• Find nearby dark sky sites with the clearest skies using a detailed light pollution map derived from the latest NASA satellite data
• Searchable lists and dark sky map showing certified dark sky places, major astronomical observatories and robotic telescopes
DETAILED ASTRONOMY FORECASTS
• Long range astronomy forecasts for any location worldwide, compare up to 10 locations up to 10 nights ahead
• Local 3-hourly forecasts for UK & USA updated hourly using the best forecast data available direct from the UK Met Office and the US NOAA National Weather Service
CUSTOM STARGAZING NOTIFICATIONS
• Receive accurate notifications of good or fair stargazing ratings based on your custom thresholds, well before sunset so you can prepare for your observing session
• App badge showing the number of sites with good observing conditions for tonight
SHARE STARGAZING FORECASTS
• Share astronomy weather reports with fellow astronomers via email, social media or print them out for your observatory
DETAILED CUSTOM ASTRONOMY FORECASTS
• Night time specific astronomy forecasts from sunset to sunrise
• Forecast coverage to suit when you observe: All Night, Evening or Morning
• Detailed colour coded forecasts:
- Moon phase percentage & altitude
- Cloud cover
- Precipitation probability
- Relative humidity
- Minimum temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Wind direction
- Wind speed & gusts in Mph, Knots, Kph or Mps
• Moonrise and moonset times
• Sunrise & sunset times
• Wind speed gust sensitivity switch for those with large telescopes or in exposed locations
• Requires a device with iOS 9.3 or later
• Requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
• Requires Location Services be enabled to automatically find local astronomy forecast
• Requires Background Services be enabled to get stargazing notifications
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Scope Nights 2.5.1 is a maintenance release containing minor improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using this app since it came out and I do rely on it but the weather info provided to the app is not as accurate as I would wish. I now find myself cross checking with other sources of met data to see what the consensus is.
But my biggest problem now is that the app no longer scales to my iPad Pro. This presents itself as the app screen is too big to fit on my iPad screen. So crucial boxes such as the search box is almost impossible to access. I reinstalled the app but it made no difference. I contacted the developer but have not received any reply.
Excellent Stargazing App :-)
Probably the most used App which I have on my phone. It is the most accurate App I have used for predicting if I am going to be getting my scope out during the next few nights, and although I do not really believe what it is telling me in more than fours nights time, I think this is true for any weather forecasting. Would recommend to anyone into Stargazing and one of the upgrades, which gives you a 'Dark Sky' map, is handy when you are travelling and want to find an area to visit with some binos.
Potentially Excellent - Seems Glitchy
It is possibly a quirk of the iPhone X, but when I run this app it seems to populate my Scope Sites list with the exact same site 20 or so times no matter how many times I delete them. When I then try to add a site I want on my list it tells me the list is full and I have to delete one before I can add any more. Because of this, I can’t look at the weather for the actual places I want to go to, just have to look at the nearest on on my list and hope. Am I doing something wrong or is it a latest version of IOS issue?? Please help, I love the functionality but this issue is killing my enthusiasm for the otherwise great app!
The developer, Martin Dodd, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Martin Dodd
- 127.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Egg Moon Studio
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.