Seeing AI is a free app that narrates the world around you. Designed for the blind and low vision community, this ongoing research project harnesses the power of AI to open up the visual world and describe nearby people, text and objects.
Optimized for use with VoiceOver, the app enables you to recognize:
• Short Text - Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
• Documents - Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognizes the text, along with its original formatting.
• Products - Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available. (works with iPhone 6 and later)
• People - Saves people’s faces so you can recognize them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
• Scenes (early preview) - Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
• Currency - Recognizes currency notes. (Requires iOS 11)
• Color - Identifies color.
• Handwriting - Reads handwritten text like in greeting cards
• Light - Generates an audible tone corresponding to the brightness in the surroundings.
• Images in other apps - Just tap “Share” and “Recognize with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
• Photo browsing experience - Describes photos on your phone
Seeing AI is built to help you achieve more by leveraging the power of the cloud and artificial intelligence. As the research progresses, more channels may be added.
Check out tutorials with this YouTube playlist: http://aka.ms/SeeingAIPlaylist
Visit http://SeeingAI.com for more details
Recently honored by American Council of the Blind, American Foundation for the Blind's Helen Keller Achievement Award, CES Asia, Mobile World Congress, FCC Chairman's Awards for Advancements in Accessibility and AppleVis Hall of Fame.
Available in 70 countries including Albania, Argentina, Australia, Bhutan, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, European Union, Ghana, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, USA, UK and Zimbabwe. Gradually coming to more countries.
Supported on iPhone 5C, 5S and later; best performance with iPhone 6S, SE and later models.
Questions, feedback or feature requests? Email us at seeingai @ microsoft.com.
This release includes several bug fixes to make your experience even better.
Ratings and Reviews
Should be quite...
... useful for those of us with limited sight. Did some basic testing, and it’s not perfect, but what is? 😉
Wasn’t great with the colours, but I suspect that’s because the light was too bright from the phone, and it was bouncing-off reflections of that light, making darker colours appear brighter, or altering the colour detected completely.
For those of us with NO colour vision, this would likely cause issues, but I usually get family to help me when needed 👍.
The product ID worked on the 3 products I tested, it was flawless 😀.
The text/document test was ok, but as usual for these talking apps, I had to slow it down to make it more legible.
Overall, a very useful app, but needs work in some areas 😊👍.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the ★★★★ rating... We are very pleased that you are enjoying Microsoft Seeing AI app. Version (2.3) has improved features with a few experimental Channels for Scenes, Colors, and Handwriting --- Please visit www.SeeingAI.com for more information, updates, and tutorials.
Incredibly handy app for the visually impaired!
I won’t write much here, because for those of you who are interested and who are looking for this app, they will know exactly what it does and what it is, however I just want to say a big thank you to Microsoft for finally releasing this incredibly useful app here in the UK. I have been using the version of the app available in the US for some time now, and would find it impossible to live without it! Many of the features such as product recognition, short text and document functions are vital for my everyday practice IT and independence and I look forward to future updates/additional features as they become available. Thank you again for a great app.
Good but not great
Little improvements that could go a long way. I'm an optician who advised this app to a client of mine. Just concerned that the text and icons are too small/non-distinct to navigate for someone with very little sight. Also when scanning a document sometimes you would not want all the information to be read out. Ideally it would be better if you could highlight or touch the relevant text you would like to have read out. Please contact me if you need further assistance, this app has the potential to change lives. Many thanks.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Microsoft Corporation
- 254.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.