ShaSearch is a simple application to find files that match a given SHA hash. SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 are both supported.
The application is useful when using a SHA hash to keep track of the integrity of files that are distributed with others.
ShaSearch can also be used to create SHA hashes of any file type. A SHA hash is a one way function which creates takes a file of any size and creates a fixed sized hash or digest which is practically infeasible to invert. In this way a SHA hash of a document or file creates a digital fingerprint of the data which can be compared against another file later and will only match if the files are identical, or in other words, have not been tampered with.
In this way the app can be used to search your Mac for duplicates of a specific file or compare every byte of a file for equality against another.
· Search for files with a matching SHA hash
· Search for multiple hashes in one operation
· Import hashes from system clipboard, text or csv files
· Open a Finder window on matched files
· Generate SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 hashes for any file type
· Hash entire folders in one command and produce a csv file as output
The hashes or digests to be searched for can be provided to the application in a couple of ways depending on your use case. A simple way would be to copy the hash into the pasteboard and then paste into the application in the normal way. A more sophisticated system might involve importing hashes from a text file or csv file. In this case the application will search the provided file for hashes and add each one it finds. Duplicate hashes will be ignored.
NOTE: ShaSearch does not perform encryption of the data and is not a complete data validation and integrity tool. It should only be used as part of a larger data and information security strategy.
Folder hashing minor patch update:
· Improves support when exporting a csv file of digests of files that have unusual filenames, in particular filenames that contain commas
· Provides extra consistency in the way the exported csv file handles multiple digests algorithms for a single file
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Robert Atherton
- 865.6 KB
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Robert Atherton
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.