Scans printed sheet music using the built-in camera and plays it for you.
Ever wondered how that interesting-looking piece of sheet music actually sounds? It's easy with Sheet Music Scanner. Just point your iPhone or iPad at the sheet and let it play the notes for you. You can choose the instrument, pick the speed and enjoy!
2 for 1 universal iOS app: iPhone / iPod touch and iPad - you get Sheet Music Scanner for all your iOS devices for the price of one.
• Scan the whole sheet instantly using your built-in camera
• Scan and playback from any image in your Photo library or from a PDF *
• Playback from anywhere in the song - simply tap the measure, the notes and symbols are highlighted as they're played
• Export as MIDI, MusicXML, audio (M4A / AAC, MP3, WAV), PDF to cloud storage *, directly to other apps or via AirDrop
* Note on Export / Import: All major cloud storages supported: iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc. Note that the appropriate cloud storage client app has to be installed for this to work.
• Reads and recognizes the following symbols of musical notation pertaining to melody, harmony, and rhythm: treble, bass, and alto (viola) clefs, notes, duration dots, rests, accidentals, note ties *
• Support for voices played in tandem, e.g. both piano hands at the same time, or all the choir voices
• Support for playing individual staffs separately, e.g. right or left piano hand
• Support for multiple pages
• Accommodates speeds between 50 and 330 beats per minute
* Some limitations apply - please see at the bottom of the page.
• Accordion, Acoustic Bass, Alto Sax, Bagpipes, Banjo, Bass Guitar, Celeste, Cello, Choir, Clarinet, Double Bass, Flute, French Horn, Guitar - Classical, Clean, Distortion, Glockenspiel, Harp, Mandolin, Marimba, Oboe, Organ (Percussive, Pipe, Reed, Rock, Tonewheel), Piano, Recorder, Tenor Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Vibraphone, Viola, Violin, Xylophone
• Supports actual instrument pitch for the transposing instruments
• Supports pitch shift / sound transposition by semitones up to 2 octaves up or down
• Change your pitch standard based on instrument, from standard 440Hz to 380-480 Hz
MINIMUM RECOMMENDED DEVICES
iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2
• Reads printed sheet music, not handwritten or mimicking handwriting, tablatures, etc.
• Reads standard oval note heads only, no special symbols like shape notes.
• The following symbols are not currently supported: repeat signs, codas, triplets/tuplets, percussion notation, dynamics, double sharps, double flats, and grace notes. These are planned to come in the future updates.
• The app currently reads 3 clefs: treble, bass, and alto. Recognition of octave clefs and clef changes in the middle of one staff are on the roadmap.
• Use high-quality printed sheet music and take photos under good enough light, when scanning from your camera, for optimal results. For scanning from a file, the recommended resolution is 300 DPI or 8-12 MPx per page.
• Some older prints and unusual fonts may not be recognizable.
If you experience any problems, please contact support at email@example.com
Improved time signature recognition.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A first class app!
This app works remarkably well - in fact I have found it more reliable than my somewhat old version of Photoscore Ultimate on my Mac. It is very tolerant of less-than-perfect photos, and in spite of the warning not to do so I have even had limited success with photos of the Mac’s screen!
There are a few things it seems not to do, but these are easily rectified once the music is transferred to a notation app - again a reliable and accurate process. Firstly, it seems to ignore time signatures - that is it rarely if ever writes one into the score - but the format of the .xml file appears to correctly set the measure length. It rather seems that the time signature may be inferred from the notes in each measure, because when a measure is not full the (hidden) time signature reflects what is actually present. Secondly, it is not perfect in interpreting complex rhythm structures. It makes a valiant attempt, but often struggles with tied triplets and the like, though it does highlight a measure if the notes don’t add to more than the correct time value.
Overall an excellent product that I’m certain will improve with maturity!
Amazing and so useful!
I suddenly had the idea to see if this app existed, assuming I was hoping for too much, but it does exist! I just scanned the second violin part of a violin duet my daughter is working on, exported it to symphony pro, corrected a couple of minor errors (a note here or there sharpened when it should have inherited the natural from a previous note, the odd note that had been read too long or too short); I had to manually bar the quarter notes but I guess that’s a symphony pro import issue. Then I was easily able to transpose it down for cello and print it out - the whole thing took about 30 minutes (the vast majority being tweaking things in the scoring app) and I’m sure I’ll get quicker with practise. I don’t usually write reviews but this app deserves one. Amazing!
Sheet scanner is absolutely amazing
As a family of computer scientists we are gob smacked. This sort of processing could not have been done in the nineties on our university super computer.
Trying to understand a really difficult piece of Messiaen has become much easier (2/4 3/8) in the same bar and then changing in other bars to other indigestible times etc.
Minor ommission, it does not appear to recognise a change to tenor clef.
Thank you so much and I’m recommending your app to all my friends with I-phones. Does it work on Androids?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- David Zemsky
- 68.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © David Zemsky
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.