Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• The badge count on the app icon now excludes new messages in muted threads and also gets updated when a thread is marked as unread. In other words, numbers after a mute point are a moot point, and you'll see a red "1" when you unread someone.
• Even though the changes are completely unrelated to fast money, the cache performance improvements in this release still help the app feel like a million bucks.
• In ancient times, you'd have to use stones or weights to keep the paper from curling up past where you wanted it to be, but these are modern times so we just added a feature that automatically maintains your scroll position.
• We updated the message retry user interface so it's easy to try again without trying your patience.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Double Update..? (Yet Again)
Not sure whether anyone else experiences this for each and every update, but I received a notification re an update Tuesday this week, which I dutifully downloaded and then opened briefly.. I then checked in to the AppStore this morning to see if any updates are available and see the same update once more requiring download and install.
I have reported this behaviour previously and the response I received from the Devs was that this would be expected behaviour if I were on the Beta channel... but I’m not. I am however in the U.K. which is why I am especially anxious as to whether there is any less than subtle replacing of trusted binaries taking place, given one can’t exactly readily check for reproducible build and sideload having confirmed checksums...
I therefore ask again, particularly in light of further overtures in certain quarters about bypassing Signals security by circumventing authentication in group chats (for eg;) can an explanation be provided for this persistent, recurrent behaviour as lack of the same is making me question the integrity of this App.
Signal is my first choice based on their philosophy but the UX could be better
I love Signal because of the data minimal philosophy. They don’t care who you phone, when or for how long. They’re not trying to form a picture of your social network, which demographic you fall into or which adverts could be successfully targeted at you. Plus it’s secure for sharing stuff like bank details etc.
The messaging works fine, so do the calls and the video calls and everything. I’ve experienced a few bugs here and there when friends haven’t updated and I have or similar things but it seems to be getting more stable. I’ll stick with it and keep getting more people to join.
Brilliant and secure, but please allow us to remove people from our group chats
Signal is my default messaging app, I love how secure Signal is, it's good to know that my messages and calls are protected with end to end encryption. I also really like that you can make messages disappear after a certain amount of time, that's so helpful with saving memory on my phone as well as security. But can you make it possible for the person who made a group to remove someone, you can't force people to leave, but you might need to remove people because of disagreements, or they might change their phone number and forget to delete their old account, so we really need to remove people from groups if necessary. All other messaging apps allow this, put this in and it'll be 5 stars.
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 139.1 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Open Whisper Systems
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.