Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• We spruced up the chat list a bit to make unread chats clearer to see
• Fixes for some issues with search and zooming in on photos
Ratings and Reviews
Double Update..? (Yet Again)
Not sure whether anyone else experiences this for each and every update, but I received a notification re an update Tuesday this week, which I dutifully downloaded and then opened briefly.. I then checked in to the AppStore this morning to see if any updates are available and see the same update once more requiring download and install.
I have reported this behaviour previously and the response I received from the Devs was that this would be expected behaviour if I were on the Beta channel... but I’m not. I am however in the U.K. which is why I am especially anxious as to whether there is any less than subtle replacing of trusted binaries taking place, given one can’t exactly readily check for reproducible build and sideload having confirmed checksums...
I therefore ask again, particularly in light of further overtures in certain quarters about bypassing Signals security by circumventing authentication in group chats (for eg;) can an explanation be provided for this persistent, recurrent behaviour as lack of the same is making me question the integrity of this App.
The best messaging app out there!
I switched away from WhatsApp because of growing privacy concerns. So I started using Signal because of how private and secure it is. After using it for about a month, I can confidently say that it’s a fantastic app and is in my opinion, the best alternative messaging app for WhatsApp.
Facebook is the biggest criminal when it comes to stealing user data, and since WhatsApp is owned by Facebook, our information and messages have only become more vulnerable. It is imperative that all of us start taking greater care of our online privacy. This will only become more clear as time goes on.
I would totally recommend Signal to everyone because of its simple user interface, its smooth animations, its ease of use, and also because of its underrated commitment to user privacy and security. I haven’t looked back on WhatsApp and I don’t regret my switch. I’m certain that you will feel the same!
The only messaging app you need
Unlike its well known competitors, Signal does not collect any data about you, or track your usage. It takes privacy seriously. It is funded by a non-profit foundation, and it can never be sold to big tech company. Cofounder of WhatsApp, Brian Acton (who quit Facebook over their lack of emphasis on user privacy), provided $50M to the creator of Signal to establish the foundation. Signal’s codebase is also fully open source meaning it can be reviewed and publicly audited so that we can be sure it is safe, secure and keeps our communication private.
After years of being uneasy with WhatsApp, I finally deleted it and am pleased to see so many of my friends joining this week. Signal puts its user’s privacy first and is now the only messaging app I want on my device. It’s great to see so many others waking up to the privacy risks from using Facebook’s services.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 213.6 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kabyle, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Turkmen, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Signal Foundation
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.