SmartScales makes practising scales and arpeggios interactive and fun! A collaboration between highly experienced music educators and leading music software developers, SmartScales ensures you’ll be making beautiful music thanks to specially-composed backing tracks in a broad range of styles.
The graded exercise packs, available as in-app purchases, closely follow the syllabus of the ABRSM, the UK’s largest music education body and the world’s leading provider of music exams. Free content allows you to try exercises in each grade before buying. Content for Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass available today, more instruments coming soon!
• Follows the complete ABRSM syllabus*, including all exercise variations
• Choice of music styles for every exercise
• Fully interactive score follows the music
• Adjustable tempo as you build towards ABRSM's suggested playing speed
• Loop the exercise so the music goes on while you play
• Built-in metronome helps you keep in time
• Toggle lead, backing and metronome tracks on and off
• Music can be used as jam along tracks
* The syllabus on which SmartScales is based is © by The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music and is reproduced by permission of the copyright owner.
- SmartScales now displays natively on iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR
- Added missing chromatic scale exercise to Piano Grade 2
- Fixed some minor UI issues
Ratings and Reviews
I’m glad I bought it.
Although it’s not perfect, I am extremely glad I bought this app as it has been helpful in my study. I have the double bass version. At first I found the synthesised “double bass” sound somewhat annoying to play along with and would like to suggest they offer an alternative with just a piano sound to get the pitch. However, the sound is considerably improved if you connect the iPhone or iPad to an external amplifier and speaker. This is an otherwise excellent app. I’m not sure about the play along backing tracks though, but you don’t have to use them. I have taken up the bass after a lifetime of playing and teaching guitar professionally and find this is a great help for improving my intonation. It would be good if they could adapt this app to also check your intonation while you are playing and give you an analysis of how much you are improving, or even just reminding you of particular notes you’re less accurate on. I am currently working on Grade 6.
GREAT APP not great backing tracks
The App is super easy to navigate around and very intuitive. Within seconds I’d discovered all the options for changing tempo and selecting different backings etc. I decided to pay for all the grades immediately to use in lessons with my students. HOWEVER, I don’t like any of the backing tracks. They don’t give the traditional harmonic support to each degree of the scale. I’m hoping this can be improved on future versions. I’ve wanted something like this app for a while and it doesn’t quite do it. Almost though.
Superb - You need this!
This is just what I was looking for.
Scales and Arpeggios with a choice of rhythms/backing music so that practicing is no longer dull and isolated!
I'm updating my review after using this app every day for a month and I still love it.
The accompanying music gives you the ability to 'get funky' with your scales and improvise rhythms... What more could you want!
Don't forget to go into settings and change your lock screen to 'never' so it doesn't switch off.
- Greater Heights Media Ltd
- 24.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2015 Greater Heights Media Limited. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Violin Grades 1 to 8 £12.99
- Violin Grades 1 to 4 £4.99
- Piano Grades 1 to 4 £4.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.