The Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever classic games collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!"
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- PLAY OFFLINE - premium users can play Sonic anytime offline
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT: MFi compatible controllers
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information).
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
Bug fixes and refinements
Ratings and Reviews
Good Game. My SEGA Mega Drive doesn’t have ads though
I love the sega megadrive and genesis games but this stinks not gameplay wise but the fact that all of the ads come after every single act. It usually takes me 1-2.5 hours to complete sonic one (megadrive/genesis) but this takes days. Plus I think it’s getting to be a bit of a scam where you should just make it a game which isn’t free instead of having the ads here anyways. Could you also do sonic the hedgehog 3 and sonic and knuckles for the mobile App Store and google play? That’s my favourite and I would buy that game
Ads Ads Ads
Bought this game when it first came out, before the Sega Forever branding. It was great. Now it’s a constant fight against adverts.
I wasn’t able to restore my purchase when the first Sega Forever version came out. That was fixed with an update. Now I’ve updated to the latest version and it’s lost my purchase again! And once again I can’t restore it. Clicking restore purchase does absolutely nothing. Very disappointed. I even tried uninstalling the app(loosing all my progress) and reinstalling. This made the box for my password pop up when restoring purchase but after entering it....nothing. I still have adverts and the restore button is back to being nonfunctional.
Edit in response to developers reply: as I mentioned I HAVE purchased the game. Way back before any of the Sega Forever branding. I am no longer able to restore purchases with this update. Just freezes.
Developer Response ,
Hi, in addition to 3rd party ads, we will send you information about SEGA products we think you may be interested in. When you make a purchase in the game, it removes the 3rd party ads but you will still see news about SEGA games. If it is 3rd party ads that you are seeing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot and we'll investigate.
Love this game it's Way Past cool
Epic Game I've got it in PS3, DS and phone it's epic and so are all the rest of the games I've played, I've got a lot of games Sonic 1, 2 & 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Colours, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Knuckles in Sonic 2, Sonic the hedgehog 2006 (Sonic 06) Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 3D Blast, Flicky's Sonic CD, Sonic Dash 1 & 2, Sonic Jump Fever, I love them and I'm planning to get Sonic Forces & Mania, Heros, Shadow the hedgehog but now their is a problem every time I go in the game now adds keep popping up in the middle of stages and when I exit them another add come up straight after please fix in update because it shouldn't happen and. it didn't happen before in middle of stages 😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕🙁
- Sega America
- 173.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- © SEGA, the SEGA logo and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG are either registered trade marks or trade marks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Upgrade £1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.