Sophos Authenticator is a simple and intuitive application that provides multi-factor authentication on your mobile device. It generates both time-based and event-based one-time passwords (OTP) according to RFC 6238 and RFC 4226.
Once configured, 2-step authentication protects your account by requiring both your password and an additional code, thus adding an extra layer of security. The app will generate these codes for you in a convenient way, directly on your smartphone or tablet, without the need for Internet connection. Sophos Authenticator does not only operate with a Sophos account, but also with accounts from Google, Facebook, Dropbox, Github and all the other providers who implement authentication in this standardised way.
- Can generate both time-based (TOTP) and counter-based (HOTP) codes
- SHA-1, SHA-256 and SHA-512 hash algorithm supported
- Add an account easily by simply scanning a QR code with your device camera or by manual input
- Great flexibility: the time-step for TOTP accounts can be any number of seconds and is not limited to 30 seconds
- HOTP accounts can use any given initial counter and don't have to start from the beginning
- Generated codes can be 6 or 8 digits wide
- Your secret keys are stored in encrypted form on the app keychain
- No Internet/network connection needed, everything happens offline
- Accounts can be easily sorted in the list
- Copy any generated code to the clipboard by tapping on it
- Fix counter bug on smaller iPhones
Ratings and Reviews
Use this instead of Microsofts Auth
Naturally Microsoft are now encouraging the use of their own app for their accounts. But I'd recommended this one, it's simpler and faster to set up and use. Admittedly the interface isn't as clean as Google Auth, but it's still a 5 star authenticator.
Does not transfer settings to another phone
I’ve just restored my new phone from a backup of the old one, and the app lost all of the codes.
User interface is also worse than Google Authenticator, and lags a lot.
When you change phone your are in trouble
On my old iphone this was a good app, but when I bought a new iphone I was in trouble, the app ceased to work. There is nothing on the Sophos website, no help at all. Unless you keep all the once only codes or copy the QR codes then the app is useless on a new phone. I had to put my sim into my old phone to get the authentication which is absurd. For Google get Google authenticator for other purposes then Authy has got good reviews. But be very careful with these apps, you are entering into a world of extreme security.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Sophos GmbH
- 1.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2020 Sophos GmbH