With SpaceCraft (MIDI, MPE, AUv3, IAA) you can transform any sound into a playable musical instrument via Granular Synthesis. You can create textures, soundscapes and arpeggiated rhythms from sounds such as your voice, ambient noise or the high quality built-in audio samples.
Tap the 'Input' button (top left) to record audio via your device's microphone or load a file from your device (access* to iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Audioshare*** etc.). Experiment with turning everyday sounds into unusual instruments.
Save your creations and corresponding samples via presets. Also, tap the 'rec' button (top right) to record your performance (maximum 20 minutes). This is used in standalone only as the AUv3 host can be used to record the output.
Supports AUv3 and IAA (recommended to use in the effects slot to allow live input audio recording).
* NOT COMPATIBLE with GarageBand as AUv3 (but can be loaded as Inter App Audio (IAA) or via an effects insert in the GarageBand sampler, with no MIDI capability)
** iOS11 and above provides equivalent folder access to the built-in iOS 'Files' app. Note that iOS10 and below has limited access to folders (no Audioshare folder access for iOS10 and below)
*** Access to Audioshare files is done via the iOS files app
Changes in this version:
- Eliminated error 701 in AUM (note that this was a false error, SC is working fine and the error could be removed by tapping anywhere on the the screen)
- Updated the App Store description regarding compatibility with GarageBand
Changes in previous version:
- Infinite mode: continuous and uninterrupted granularisation of incoming audio in real-time. Grains are processed on the left of the crosshairs to allow practically zero-latency granularisation of incoming audio
- New LFO types: saw, inverted saw, triangle, square, random & smooth random
- Stereo phase: creates stereo effect by delaying left and right channels with respect to each other. Essentially converts mono input to stereo output (and can make stereo samples slightly more stereo)
- Course and fine tuning: allows full control of the pitch of the synthesis to compensate for any pitch discrepancy in the source sample
- Grain attack: allows grains to have slower attack response
- Reverb damping and reverb size controls
- Improved sound quality of DSP
- removed transparent filter as it was causing audio dropouts in some cases (transparent filter will be reintroduced once I can figure out how to fix it)
New Global Settings options:
- Option of Hann grain amplitude envelope (in global settings) giving smoother sound, especially when using higher frequency grains
- Option of Hermite interpolation in DSP algorithms resulting in better quality of lower-pitched grains
- Option of higher quality filter: smoother sounding filter when changing crosshairs
- Option to normalise audio input: automatically sets input audio recorded to maximum peak volume
- Option of transparent vs legacy filter: the transparent filter is a new feature (default) which removes the effect of the filter completely when the crosshairs is at the center. The previous (legacy) filter (slightly duller sounding when crosshairs are in centre) is included in case you want existing projects to sound completely unchanged
- Option to set MPE pitch bend range: select the appropriate setting depending on MPE hardware used (I.e. Seaboard, Linnstrument etc.)
- Optional MPE y-axis scaling multiplier: scales MPE y-axis to cover different range of the sample
- Option to disable channel pressure: disables channel pressure input when using MPE (can be useful for certain types of MIDI hardware)
Ratings and Reviews
5 star rating is not enough for this awesome app.
I don’t know where to begin in describing this app, how about…those that can remember the early Moody Blues albums, where one song would merge with another song seamlessly using a beautiful carefully arranged orchestral link that would end up sounding like a space ship (I think…therefore I am), or perhaps maybe a thunderous Tangerine Dream track that morphs into a calm soothing sequenced melody, or perhaps the feeling of effortlessly floating around in space. On the other hand this app can also produce sounds of evil beings roaring at each other on a far distant planet and then seamlessly change into a calming flute playing next to a gentle stream by just moving the cross point on the wave file. This brilliant app is going to come in so very handy for creating beautiful soundscapes and intro/endings in just seconds. Without Spacecraft it would not be possible to produce this quality of sounds without having to spend hours or even days using all my other synth apps combined together.
I imported one of my own Cubasis3 mixdown arrangements into Spacecraft, I then asked my wife to listen to it without telling her what was playing, she really liked the complex and weird soundscape that she could relax too, it also reminded her of something she had heard before 😏that definitely convinced me I made the right choice in buying this app. I take my hat off to the developers, I would give 10 stars if I could.
This app is wonderful for getting very good, creative ideas going very quickly. Lovely interface design and colours. The only problem was an issue with Dropbox crashing it when loading files from folders within folders. I can say that after deleting and reinstalling Dropbox this problem vanished. Mark, the developer, was very helpful in trying to get to the bottom of the issue.
Now this app has been updated with some more ability like tempo, midi and able to load into Audiobus it has great potential for serious music and sound design.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review. It would be very much appreciated if you could contact me, I'd like to understand the cause of the file loading issues. email@example.com
iOS is not exactly short of granular synthesis apps, but SpaceCraft really brings something unique to the table.
The selection of parameters and the way they are controlled easily takes any sound all the way from beautiful washed out ambience to warped craziness. The sound engine is great and makes anything sound awesome.
The UI is really well done and is minimal and abstract enough to be inspiring, while also showing enough information for you to control it. Special shout out is due to the excellent melodic sequencer implementation and the wonderful reverb.
Even if you’ve already got iOS music app overload, this one is worth your time, and even if you are not a musician, this app can be wonderfully relaxing and captivating to play with. At this price, it’s a steal, so go get it!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mark Watt
- 108.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Delta-V Audio
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.