Spelling Test by Squeebles is an app aimed at helping 5 to 11 year old children practise their spellings in a fun, motivating environment. It allows you to set up your own personalised spelling tests, as well as download from over 150 pre-recorded tests based on the UK national curriculum, containing over 1800 words.
"After evaluating many spelling apps, I was so pleasantly surprised while testing out Squeebles Spelling – it’s a winner!" - TeachersWithApps.com
Key Features (from a parent or teacher's perspective):
- Set up your own custom spelling tests containing the exact words your children need to learn, recording yourself speaking the audio of each word, or download from over 200 pre-recorded spelling tests created by us across 5 difficulty levels, in line with the UK national curriculum for key stage one and two.
- Dyslexia-friendly features including the option of Open Dyslexic font.
- Accented characters allow you to set up spelling tests for French, Spanish, German or Italian words.
- Individual statistics cover spelling test scores and show incorrect spellings so you can see what each child is struggling with.
- Print each child's previous tests and answers.
- Register unlimited children on any one device
- Share spelling tests between devices or back them up to the cloud using a free KeyStageFun account.
- Customise each child's experience with personalised settings.
- No in-app purchases, no adverts and no internet links for children to accidentally tap on.
- Parent / teacher area can be password protected.
- A motivational reward system for your children keeps them practising their spellings so they can keep earning further rewards and making progress in the game.
Key Features (from a child's perspective):
- Practise your spellings across 4 different game modes, taking specific tests set by a parent or teacher, KeyStageFun downloadable tests based on the U.K national curriculum, random tests and tricky tests.
- "Tricky Words" mode creates a spelling test containing questions you previously answered incorrectly.
- Consolidate learning by taking one-off tests that choose words randomly from all the words in the app.
- Rescue 20 Squeebles from the clutches of the nasty Spelling Snake, including some designed by children who won our "Design a Squeeble" competition. Each Squeeble has its own unique personality, facts and stats.
- Every time you spell a word correctly, you earn turns on the fun "Squeeberang" mini game, where Squeebles fly as far as they can through the air on boomerang-shaped colourful flying machines.
- Collect stars to trade for Squeeberangs and power-ups to use in the Squeeberang game. The more stars you have, the better the Squeeberangs you can get.
- Earn power-ups to use in the game.
- View high scores, stats and the rewards you've won.
The app can be used by kids practising for a weekly spelling test or spelling bee, or those looking to improve vocabulary ahead of sats or the 11+ exam.
Spelling Test by Squeebles is used throughout the world by parents and teachers and has been featured by the BBC, the Guardian, the Observer and the Telegraph amongst others, as well as reaching number 1 in the Apple education charts and the top 10 of the overall Apple app charts.
From the App Store:
"By far the most productive app I have ever purchased for my 5 year old!!! I had been struggling to keep her interested and she was becoming reluctant to even look at her spellings until we had a go on this."
"A simply brilliant app, amazing design, fun and easy to use and full marks in all spelling tests since September for my eight year old."
"Happy to report that since we've been using this app over the last few weeks both children have had 10/10 on all school spelling tests!"
If you have any questions or suggestions for features, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
v7.4 is a minor update featuring various performance improvements.
As always, if you have any features you'd like to see added to any of our apps, please let us know by e-mailing email@example.com
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best spelling app I have found
This app is the best one I have found so far. I love the way you can record your own spelling lists as we have found other apps are difficult to work out what custom words are saying. I also love how it puts incorrect spellings into a new list to practice and it allows various settings for what happens if they get it correct. The other handy feature is being able to share my lists with up to ten devices so it can go on our phones, tablets etc.
If the app makers change it so that the child’s account can be linked between devices then I will give a five star as that is all that seems to be lacking with this app.
This is working really well with my very reluctant to write 11 year old, who loves to earn rewards. He will actually practice his spelling on this app.
It's easy to add the word he needs to learn and enables me to track progress and focus him on the word he needs to go over again.
It's really taking the pressure off and means I'm not nagging him to practice.
Just a bit concerned what I'll do when he has all the squeebles.
It would be good it there were more squeebles (unless I'm missing something) and maybe a choice of games - it might give it a longer age span.
I seriously love this app. I’ve searched & downloaded so many useless apps before I found this one!
Basically my 6 yo daughter comes home with spellings on a Monday for a test on Friday. You can guarantee by Tuesday they have vanished, been ‘misplaced’ and then there’s some sort of drama about replacing them etc etc
Since purchasing this app I’ve had ZERO problems! She comes in with the spellings on a Monday. I put them into the iPad via the app, hey presto she somehow doesn’t ‘misplace’ the iPad all week and I enforce a practice test daily.
Result is my stress level has reduced massively & her spelling result has improved dramatically! Wins all round.
Would 100% recommend to any UK parent. There’s no American spelling/voice over nonsense. Plus you can download random tests from various key stages to further reinforce learning.
I really do love it 😍 😁
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.