Squeebles Spelling Test by KeyStageFun is an app aimed at helping 5 to 11 year old children practise their spellings in a fun, motivating environment. It allows you to set up your own personalised spelling tests, as well as download from over 150 pre-recorded tests based on the UK National Curriculum, containing over 1800 words.
Key Features (from a parent or teacher's perspective):
- Set up your own custom spelling tests containing the exact words your children need to learn, recording yourself speaking the audio of each word, or download from over 200 pre-recorded spelling tests created by us across 5 difficulty levels, in line with the UK national curriculum for key stage one and two.
- Dyslexia-friendly features including the option of Open Dyslexic font.
- Tinted overlays or backgrounds included, aimed at assisting those with visual stress.
- A selection of accented characters allow you to set up spelling tests in French, German, Spanish etc.
- Individual statistics cover spelling test scores and show incorrect spellings so you can see what each child is struggling with.
- Print each child's previous tests and answers.
- Register unlimited children on any one device
- Share spelling tests between devices or back them up to the cloud using a free KeyStageFun account.
- Customise each child's experience with personalised settings.
- No in-app purchases, no adverts and no internet links for children to accidentally tap on.
- Parent / teacher area can be password protected.
- A motivational reward system for your children keeps them practising their spellings so they can keep earning further rewards and making progress in the game.
Key Features (from a child's perspective):
- Practise your spellings across 4 different types of test:
--> Spelling tests created by your parent / teacher (or you!)
--> Choose from over 150 pre-recorded tests created by us, in line with the UK National Curriculum.
--> "Tricky Words" mode creates a spelling test containing questions you previously answered incorrectly.
--> Random tests select 10 words randomly from all your spelling tests.
- Rescue 25 Squeebles from the clutches of the nasty Spelling Snake, including some that were designed by our "Design a Squeeble" competition winners. Each Squeeble has its own unique personality, facts and stats.
- Every time you spell a word correctly, you earn turns on the fun "Squeeberang" mini game, where Squeebles fly as far as they can through the air on boomerang-shaped colourful flying machines.
- Collect stars to trade for Squeeberangs and power-ups to use in the Squeeberang game. The more stars you have, the better the Squeeberangs you can get.
- Take part in a treasure hunt within the game, to unlock the Secret Squeeble!
- Earn power-ups to use in the game.
- View high scores, stats and the rewards you've won.
The app can be used by kids practising for a weekly spelling test or spelling bee, or those looking to improve vocabulary ahead of sats or the 11+ exam.
If you have any questions or suggestions for features, please e-mail email@example.com
7.9 is a minor update that fixes a couple of issues on older versions of iOS.
As always, please let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions for features that we might include in future updates, by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and Reviews
Best spelling app I have found
This app is the best one I have found so far. I love the way you can record your own spelling lists as we have found other apps are difficult to work out what custom words are saying. I also love how it puts incorrect spellings into a new list to practice and it allows various settings for what happens if they get it correct. The other handy feature is being able to share my lists with up to ten devices so it can go on our phones, tablets etc.
If the app makers change it so that the child’s account can be linked between devices then I will give a five star as that is all that seems to be lacking with this app.
This is working really well with my very reluctant to write 11 year old, who loves to earn rewards. He will actually practice his spelling on this app.
It's easy to add the word he needs to learn and enables me to track progress and focus him on the word he needs to go over again.
It's really taking the pressure off and means I'm not nagging him to practice.
Just a bit concerned what I'll do when he has all the squeebles.
It would be good it there were more squeebles (unless I'm missing something) and maybe a choice of games - it might give it a longer age span.
I seriously love this app. I’ve searched & downloaded so many useless apps before I found this one!
Basically my 6 yo daughter comes home with spellings on a Monday for a test on Friday. You can guarantee by Tuesday they have vanished, been ‘misplaced’ and then there’s some sort of drama about replacing them etc etc
Since purchasing this app I’ve had ZERO problems! She comes in with the spellings on a Monday. I put them into the iPad via the app, hey presto she somehow doesn’t ‘misplace’ the iPad all week and I enforce a practice test daily.
Result is my stress level has reduced massively & her spelling result has improved dramatically! Wins all round.
Would 100% recommend to any UK parent. There’s no American spelling/voice over nonsense. Plus you can download random tests from various key stages to further reinforce learning.
I really do love it 😍 😁
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ian Knapp
- 30.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 4+, Made for Ages 6 to 8
- © KeyStageFun 2021
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.