*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 20 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
A few bug fixes:
- Fixed occasional crash when selecting constellations, either from search or by directly tapping on them.
- Star Chart now understands that Pluto has 5 moons, not 4.
- When running in an English variant other than US English, planet/moon order text was not displaying correctly.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
For the things you can see on this app, for free, is quite an opportunity to provided with.
I wish there was also unofficial names for constellations and groups of stars, as searching for Orion and his belt and other constellations does not find anything. I think this would help others like me, who use different names, to find out the actual names of the stars more efficiently.
In summary, I'm all in praise for the amazingly seeming simplicity of the app.
Great app for the casual stargazer
I downloaded this for our camping trip in Australia, but also because the old stargazing app unused to have seems to have been removed from the iStore.
The interface is great, plus it allows you to use an AI mode which means you can simply point your phone/pad and it'll show you what is in the field of view. Remember to set your location in settings, as I forgot to do this a few times and I though the app was malfunctioning, but it just had us at our previous coordinates.
The only negative thing I would have to say is that there are several add on extras, such as satellites and enhanced solar system. I downloaded satellites, meteor showers and enhanced solar system, but in the end I'm not sure these add ins are worth it. There were clearly satellites in my field of view, but the app wasn't showing which satellite it was. In fact, it only lists a few of the big satellites (such as Hubble and the ISS), so unless one of these are in your FOV, it's not worth the add on.
The meteor showers add on is yet to prove useful, but it at least tells me when I should expect a meteor shower and what frequency I scan expect.
I downloaded enhanced solar system, simply for more information about the moons and planets. Pretty useful for informational purposes, and would come into its own when using a telescope to plot to the relevant location in the sky.
A good app, but maybe one too many add ons that could just be part of the core app.
Not user friendly!
I have tried many times to use this app. There are many upgrades available for all sorts of add-on levels, but as soon as one departs from the basic tracking screen, there is no way back ! User is stuck with a non-tracking display And although this mode will show a display of stars etc, and can be switched to planets of choice, pulled and turned by touch. There is no possibility to get back to the original useful tracking screen. There is NO menu to click on or help, just a search glass and settings tab, this is not much help, possible to set location and get a list of “upgrades “ .. while the basic user functions are missing, why would anyone purchase more upgrades ? I do not recommend this app at this time, look for something better ... at least thats what I am going to do. Sadly, I have wasted money on this one.
- ESCAPE VELOCITY LIMITED
- 28.6 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2009 Escape Velocity Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Meteor Showers £4.99
- Extended Solar System £4.99
- Extended Star Catalog £9.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.