StopTheMadness is a Safari and Firefox extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web!
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in Safari and Firefox:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
• smooth scrolling
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping")
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon)
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from clicked links
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen
• Stops Safari from automatically submitting login forms. AutoFill login forms and then make changes such as checking "Remember Me" or take CAPTCHA tests before submitting.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Hides animated squiggles on theoutline.com
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• When "Stop autosubmit of autofilled forms" is enabled, StopTheMadness now requests confirmation of submission only once per page load. (Previously it requested confirmation every time.)
• Remove "fbaid" and "trackLink" tracking tags from URLs when you click a link. ("fbclid", "gclid", and "utm_" tracking tags were already removed.)
Ratings and Reviews
Bring the web under your control
This is an essential extension to Safari. Web pages these days are allowed to take control and override your own browser's behaviour and have stepped way over the line. StopTheMadness stops the overreaching behaviour of the worst web sites and brings some sanity back to browsing. I'd buy it for 5 times the price.
Worked as expected once I'd understood about how to manage exceptions (eg, for Google Docs). Thanks to the developer for explaining.
Developer Response ,
Hi. Google Docs is one of those sites that captures keyboard shortcuts and other Safari functionality. You can make an exception for Google Docs to allow this. Open the StopTheMadness app, and press the + button to add new website protections for "docs.google.com". Then uncheck the boxes for "Cut, Copy, and Paste" and "⌘-Key Shortcuts". See https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html for more details.
Very dubious that this extension is actually doing anything. It hasn't changed the behaviour on the web sites I visit. There's no obvious feedback that it's doing something. I have buyer's remorse and feel ripped off.
Developer Response ,
Hi. That's exactly how StopTheMadness is designed to work, invisibly. There's no feedback. When StopTheMadness is working, the web "just works". For example, if a web site disables pasting text into a form, StopTheMadness enables pasting text into a form. If a site prevents command-click from opening a link in a new tab, StopTheMadness makes command-click open a link in a new tab. People usually purchase StopTheMadness because they're experiencing particular annoyances with web sites, so it will be obvious when those annoyances are eliminated. You can test that StopTheMadness works on this page: https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/test.html
If you don't like StopTheMadness, that's ok, you can request a refund from Apple. You won't be ripped off. Apple does give refunds on request.
- Jeff Johnson
- 601.2 KB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Jeffrey Johnson
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.