Symphony Pro 6 is a complete and intuitive app for writing music notation on iPad. It allows you to compose music for just about any size ensemble, from piano, symphonies, band, lead sheets, chord charts, guitar tabs, and more.
Starting Version 5, Symphony Pro now offers handwriting recognition as the only in-app purchase: Perfect with Apple Pencil, and works great with touch or capacitive stylus
SP provides all of the key options to begin your work. Import a score via MusicXML, MXL, MIDI, or SP file from your computer, or from apps like Dropbox, Mail, iCloud Drive, or Safari. You can base your project on a template, or start a blank score and add additional parts later.
To add notes, choose Pencil mode, and tap anywhere on a bar to begin editing right away. You can quickly specify note properties before or after placing notes. By switching to Select mode with one touch, you can also transpose, erase, cut, and paste multiple notes/tracks.
With an on-screen instrument, a QWERTY keyboard, or Core MIDI compatible keyboard, you can quickly enter notes & chords in step entry mode. Record a part in real-time with on-screen instruments to transcribe into notation.
Versions 4 & 5 take greater advantage of the iPad touchscreen. With shortcuts and contextual menus to edit note & bar properties, many of the commonly used editing commands are right at your fingertips.
SP supports a wide range of notational elements for your composition. Including dynamics & articulations, time & key signature changes, clef changes, pedals, and repeat conventions. Edit chord symbols, lyrics, and annotations using the iPad’s standard keyboard.
EXPORT & SHARE
When you’re finished, print out your score with AirPrint, or export it as a PDF, MusicXML, AAC, MIDI, or Symphony file. Share files via email or directly to another computer or iPad via Dropbox/iCloud Drive.
• Introducing Handwriting Recognition for Apple Pencil & touch
• Starting Version 5, Handwriting is the only In-App Purchase to enable the complete app
• Now download SP on your iPhone
• 24+ professionally recorded and sound-designed acoustic instruments, free out of the box
Earlier features offered free, to existing & new owners
• 114 built-in instruments for playback, and auditioning the notes you entered
• Create in standard music notation or tablature
• Edit with an on-screen piano, QWERTY keyboard, or a MIDI input device
• Dozens of shortcuts & gestures to edit & navigate
• Reduce your score size, range, or combination of parts for viewing & editing*
• Print directly to AirPrint
• Up to 48 instruments, 100 staves, 4 voices/layers per score
• Record a part in real-time with clicks at the beat with optional emphasis
• Backup & sync your scores with iCloud*
• Import MusicXML, MIDI, MXL, or Symphony files
• Export as a PDF, MusicXML, MIDI, AAC, or Symphony file
• Large selection of articulations & dynamics
• Multi-measure rests, including automatic rests
• Grace notes
• Customizable noteheads & note colors
• Chord symbol, lyric, and annotation tools
• Edit the properties of multiple notes and rests simultaneously by multi-note select
• Copy/Paste function supports partial & multi-bar/staff select
• Unlimited undo/redo
• Customizable stem directions & note beaming
• Transposing & concert pitch score option
• Change tempo or clef anywhere in score or bar
• Stream audio or share your screen wirelessly with AirPlay
• Advanced document management
• Create your own custom project template or use a built-in one
• Customizable part groupings for SATB and instrument families
• Customizable chord symbol, lyric, and annotation font
• Loop playback feature
• Auto-save support
* Previously paid, but now free upgrade in Version 5
For More information, please visit:
• Facebook page at www.facebook.com/symphonyapp
• Learn about the iPhone-only app: bit.ly/symphonyiphone
Customizable interface (via Navigation Menu > new Editor Preferences menu)
* Show the Notes Toolbar as a vertical sidebar on the left or right of the screen
* Full Dark Mode as app setting (Editor Preferences > Dark Mode)
-- Dark score background/canvas
-- Fully redesigned color scheme for the interface and notation
* Choose AirTurn connections to connect a compatible device
* Easily scroll with Apple Pencil using the screen space outside of the score canvas
* iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 compatibility
* Stability and crash fixes
* Efficient battery usage for active state & new background audio mode
* New Chord Symbol Handwriting Recognition tool, included with Handwriting In-App Purchase
* Improved recognition of handwritten notes
* Improved gesture recognition while in Handwriting mode, including lasso-select, slurs, and quick-connect beam
* Improved stray pen mark detection and palm rejection
* Make space in between existing notes for handwriting: just select a note, then choose 'Add Space for Handwriting'
* Easily access all touch-based editing features while in Handwriting mode, without ever clicking out of the Handwriting Tool
* Improved Apple Pencil recognition across the general interface and editor
* New Annotations Tool (included with Handwriting In-App Purchase)
Part Management & Layout
* Change of Visible Parts feature (via Measure Dialog > Staff Layout)
-- At any bar in a project, change which parts are visible or hidden
* New & improved layout engine
-- Reworked multi-measure rest layout and easier editing
-- Auto-create multi-rests feature via Score Menu > Display Settings
* Print Preview Feature (via Score Menu > View Mode)
-- View & edit the full score or individual parts as preview sheet music
-- Support for vertical and horizontal pages
* Easier editing of page display settings, bars per line, system breaks, and other staff customizations across individual part configurations
* Directly adjustable part group brackets within the score
* Smart auto-create part group brackets
* Bug fixes when inserting, deleting, and reordering parts via Staff Side Panel and Instruments menu
Notation and General Editing
* New & improved score symbol copy/paste, including chord symbols, lyrics, and multi-element paste
* Cross-staff beams & notes: individual notes of a chord can now cross between staves
* Fully non-destructive editing with new undo/redo system
* Score symbols & expressions:
-- In Write mode, now apply an articulation or symbol to multiple notes by swiping over them
-- Improved expression auto-alignment & content-aware layout
* Improved 'Shift Notes Across Measures' feature and pasting of notes across bar-lines
* Paste entire bars via Paste Special > Paste Copied Bars
* Refined two-finger swipe shortcuts (e.g. to undo/redo) and multi-touch gesture recognition (e.g. start/stop playback)
* Audiobus integration for sending audio and multi-track MIDI messages to AB3-compatible apps
* MIDI-Out to Core MIDI:
-- Assign multiple instruments (parts) to different MIDI channels via new patch menu
* New & improved MIDI Record
* Split point feature for MIDI Import and Record
* Add multiple endings by highlighting a second ending in the score, then tapping plus sign
* Playback fixes for live dynamics and tempo changes
* Better MusicXML inter-op with other notation applications
* Improved general MIDI File Import/Export
* 'Render' dynamics, tempo changes, and articulations to exported MIDI file via the new options dialog
* Audio file export: 16x faster bounce to AAC
More Interface Improvements
* Full compatibility and adaptive UI for latest iPhones
* Faster loading, saving, toggle playback, and app launch
Hundreds of other improvements: to view full release notes, please visit symphonypro.net.
Stay tuned for updated help resources and other guides after the holidays in Q1 2021!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The Best money can buy
I have used this for about 3+ years now, and this really is a Great app, if not the Best, suitable for the more serious scorer / composer.
It works Great, the built-in help function is a Big help when you need it. Seriously Good value for your money.
My only criticism is that page settings are very fiddly, and a case of trial and error, that is of course when you export a score as a PDF, and you want the score to be printed in such a way that it is Clear to read, particularly for people that print the score off in A4: planning how many staves you want on one page, how big the notes are on an A4 print, and planning where you want the page End can be very tricky, it usually takes about 5 or 6 test prints to get it exactly like you want it.
But if you read the music along on an iPad, it works like a Dream, absolutely Perfect, and in my opinion, the Best you can get for iPad.
As for the future, I just HOPE that Apple will design a “paper tablet”, OR that this app will be available on a paper- reader tablet of some sort.
I will say first that this software does take a bit of getting used to but the more you discover new features the more you realise it’s genius. Packed with tons of features and very reasonable in price.
It has so many benefits, one of which from a music theory teaching aspect, it’s not something I’d initially thought of when I bought it. It was mainly for orchestral arranging and part writing if I need to draft up something quickly. Teaching music theory - it allows you to get students to practice the old fashioned and proper way of writing music using a pencil, but with the bonus of seeing it all printed up too.
There are reviews saying it is pricey but the nearest competitor that I used to use was Sibelius, which at one point was £300 upwards if I remember correctly. This is £10 for the app and £10 for the hand writing add on. Absolute bargain if you ask me.
This is written in the hope it will stop the irritating pop-up request asking for "a good review".
The software is expensive for an ios app.
The handwriting add-on does not seem to add much advantage when editing a score; probably best for new score drafting.
The software offers good basic functionality but it has many quirks and bugs. With more care four stars might be achieved. I have been a long term user of Notion and hope that this seemingly more up-to-date software will be good enough to let me switch from Notion (which is also quirky and buggy). In practice I still need to use both depending on the tasks i want to complete.
Terminology is not defined (for example why have a 'project' rather than a 'score' and just exactly what is a 'layer'). In some places we have measures and others we have bars.
Other quirks include:
- No separation of file (project) name from the title of the piece; making the management of many scores unsatisfactory.
- Many random crashes - but have not yet lost data.
- Very restricted layout control.
- separating vocal parts (with lyrics) for printing tends to scramble the positions of the lyrics.
- Shortage of expression marks normally used (eg diminuendo)
- Can't change, save and reuse the default settings (eg set paper to A4 and it always comes back as letter).
- Exporting XML leaves out much of the expression and other text.
- Clunky process to find editing tools.
In-App PurchasesSee All
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Xenon Labs, LLC
- 394.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Xenon Labs, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Handwriting Recognition Tool £14.99
- Version 4: Complete Features Bundle
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.